3yr old Marginated trying to hibernate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
The problem is, I haven't changed her uv/heat level since summer! I even put a night time red lamp for xtra heat only at night like I did last year. I don't have the knowledge or confidence to risk sticking her in a box in the basement for 5 months...it just bothers me. Last year, I don't recall her trying to hibernate. Unfortunately, the house is set at 60 degrees for the winter (We couldn't afford to keep it any warmer), but, like I said, she has 60+ at night to her normal basking spot during the daytime hours. Can I "keep her awake" like I have in the past?
I'm just worried that, the heated house, her body won't truly 'shut down' and she'll starve to death.
Any input? I haven't seen her for 4 or 5 days...

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
She should be kept "awake" with summer heat and day length's or hibernated at 40 degrees F. You are right, hibernation at 50-60 degrees will be dangerous, as its not hibernation at all.

60's during the night should be fine if she can get to 70 ambient and 105 or so under the basking lamp.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If the daytime temperatures and light duration within the tortoise's enclosure are normal activity levels then it shouldn't be attempting to hibernate, regardless of night time temperatures (as long as they're above 45-50 degrees). If tempertures are not the problem than light duration most likely is. Mediterranean tortoise activity (or lack of) is based on two simple elements-temperature and light.

What are the daytime and night time temperatures within the enclosure? What is the temperature directly under the basking light? How many hours a day is the basking and UV light on?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
My Marginateds shut down if night time temperatures go under 60F, no matter what the day time temperatures or light lengths are. If you want to keep your Marginated awake you need to have the night time temperatures in the enclosure above 60F at night, not just in one spot.

Danny

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My experience with Marginateds is contrary to Danny's. Mine are outdoors in the early spring and late fall when temperatures at night are sometimes as low as the 40's and typically in the low to mid 50's. As long as the daytime temperatures are above 65 degrees and sunny mine remain very active. Indoors I don't have those issues because even at night my temperatures never drop below 65 degrees. But when we have had power outages here and the only light available to the tortoises is dim natural light through a small window in the room. When this happens they basically stay in their shelters or lay in one spot for hours at a time, with little or no movement. So based on those experiences I have to disagree that light duration and daytime temperatures don't have anything to do with activity levels. Light and temperatures determine a tortoises every move including activity levels, feeding, breeding and hibernation.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Lazybones got up today and has been up all morning (and is eating like a pig). Maybe she just 'slept in'? I opened the curtain closest to her enclosure to let some more sun in. Thanks for all the great answers! I love this place..

Status
Not open for further replies.