4 Hatchlings in 1 Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I had a sad experience today with what I thought was a normal 3 toed box turtle hatching. It started yesterday, but I noticed the hatchling looked a little deformed as it was half out the egg and struggling as you can see in the picture below.

I peeked inside the opening today and could see another hatchling, then another! I didn't see any movement from them. A couple hours later the exposed hatchling passed away. :(

I opened the egg and couldn't believe there were 4 hatchlings inside, one was very tiny.
It was a sad sight but interesting from a biology aspect. I only wished they would have survived.

I did take a few pictures of the opened egg but have not posted them in this post as I do not want to offend anyone.

535836_10150639354848621_697428620_9484573_1764626653_n.jpg

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
That's so sad. I had no idea that more than one turtle could be in an egg.

PATMAN said:
I had a sad experience today with what I thought was a normal 3 toed box turtle hatching. It started yesterday, but I noticed the hatchling looked a little deformed as it was half out the egg and struggling as you can see in the picture below.

I peeked inside the opening today and could see another hatchling, then another! I didn't see any movement from them. A couple hours later the exposed hatchling passed away. :(

I opened the egg and couldn't believe there were 4 hatchlings inside, one was very tiny.
It was a sad sight but interesting from a biology aspect. I only wished they would have survived.

I did take a few pictures of the opened egg but have not posted them in this post as I do not want to offend anyone.

535836_10150639354848621_697428620_9484573_1764626653_n.jpg

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
ive read a thread with twins and that she was able to seperate them with half the yoke each and that both survived, these were spotteds. from a biology aspect this is very interesting. from a turtle hobbyiest standpoint this is such a terrible loss and im sorry, though i would be interested in seeing the photo of the quartet :(

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Wow, 4 in one egg! Sorry for your losses... :/ Very interesting though!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Wow.... very interesting .... and I'm sure if ya warned in the heading , not too many would be offened ...this is how we all learn , and great insight .
JD~:)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats very sad and like JD said, just put a warning in the heading so those that don't want to look will know. It would be interesting to see.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
That's so sad. I have to agree, from a scientific view point it's fascinating. Arguably I would have been happier if they'd survived and we could see pictures of them growing up.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Wow, 4 is a big number in an egg! It's unfortunate that none made it :(

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Very sad for your loss. It is pretty amazing to find 4 in one egg, this is the most i have heard at 1 time. Very sad they didn't make it though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This one-ups-man-ship has got to stop!!! First Stells with her twins, then cdmay with his triplets, and now quads? I mean really!!!

:p

I guess that sounds pretty flippant...sorry, don't mean to belittle the fact that you lost 4 babies. That is a sad thing. Its never easy to lose the babies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sad they didn't survive. I've seen twin's but never more then that with box turtles. It would be interesting to see the pictures.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So sad that the little one that struggle to the surface did not win his fight....I have no desire to see the other pics, but I am sure other would...

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
ascott said:
So sad that the little one that struggle to the surface did not win his fight....I have no desire to see the other pics, but I am sure other would...

Poor little guy. :(
I wouldn't want to see any photo's either, it would just break my heart :(

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I actually had 3 Indian Stars in one egg. None survived. I have them preserved. Pretty cool to look at. Sucks none made it though.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
I'm sorry to hear this, but that's what nature does sometimes. So, they would be identical quadruples?

Status
Not open for further replies.