4 month old box turtle won't eat

Razzmatazz

Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia Canada
I have a three toed box turtle ( I know it's not a tortoise) got it about 1.5 weeks ago. 4 months old.

It will not eat, just buries it's self all day.

How long before I should worry?
Is this normal?
It passes by pellets and red lettuce and just looks at meal worms with out any interest.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Hope the info Yvonne gave you helps. Btw, we are about tortoises, Box turtles and water turtles. We welcome them all. We even have an area to share your other animals.

Razzmatazz

British Columbia Canada
I have a 4 month old box turtle that hasn't eaten for 3 weeks.

Set up half aquatic with heat pad. Temps are: warm 30-34 C cool 23-25C.

Feeding pellets that the breeder provided. Hasn't lost any weight.

The Temps were too low for the first week or so. The breeder believes it may have been preparing for hibernation.

How long does it take to come out of hibernation once Temps are regulated? The turtle is alert and responsive, no signs of any eye or skin problems either.

Help :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby box turtles are prey, and as such, they stay hidden ALL THE TIME! I only see mine if I happen to surprise them, then they quickly scurry away and hide again.

Buy some black worms from the fish aquarium store and add a pinch to your turtle's soaking water every morning. And don't stand over him looking at him. let him be alone while he soaks and also while he's eating. While he's soaking, chop up a few leafy greens and a bit of fruit and pile it up on a feeding tile in the habitat. Then place some live food on top of that pile. Place the baby by the food and quickly step out of his sight. As he bites at the live food he'll get a bit of the fruit and veg and eventually realize its food too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-hatchling-care-sheet.97144/

Razzmatazz

British Columbia Canada
Thank you.

I usually put the food in and walk away. Check on it couple times a day.

I have been advised to not feed live food. Only pellets until it gets older.

I'm very torn because I'm getting different advise from everyone. I do not want to go against the breeder either. They have been raising box turtles and torts for some time.

How long is too long with out food?

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I've raised a few baby box turtles, and one thing I learned from my reptile veterinarian is that young box turtles recognize food when they see it moving. Older box turtles recognize food by smell. If you want a hatchling box turtle to eat, giving them caterpillars, earthworms, pill bugs, grubs, small beetles, is the best thing for them. It is the most natural food, and by far the easiest way to get them to eat. I have never fed pellets of any type to a box turtle or tortoise. I wouldn't recommend it.

Three weeks without food is not good, however, it is good that the hatchling has not lost weight. They certainly can go longer than mammals can without food, but you'll want to get the little one eating soon. In my experience, pill bugs, grubs and small worms are the best to start them on. Has the hatchling eaten anything since you got it?

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I'm putting my response here as well just so that if anyone else reads this thread and is struggling with this issue they will know what I have suggested:

Pellets are inferior nutrition, and the only live food that might not be good is crickets – in particular ones that have been captive raised to be sold as food for reptiles. I remember that for one of my baby box turtles it was difficult to get him to eat his first meal. I was worried, of course, and had to try a few different foods before he finally ate. Once he started eating everything was fine. He tended to pull away from the food, and look at it with suspicion. I think he had a hard time at first figuring out that he was the predator , and not the prey. Yours may have been living off of the yolk sac that they have attached to their bottom shell (plastron) just after they hatch. So if he hasn't eaten his first meal yet this is totally new to him and may take a little time.

What is the temperature like? I saw that somebody said it was too low – I'm not good at translating Celsius to Fahrenheit. Have you been able to get the temperature up? Keeping the daytime temperature between 85 to 90°F is very helpful in getting them eating. I see that you're using a UVB bulb, so that is very good. I give them 12 hours of light with the warmth, and 12 hours of no light, and a cooler temperature: 65-72°F is ideal. Also, soaking in very shallow water at least once a day helps. Sometimes what I've done is to soak them first, and then give them food after they get out of their water dish. Something about soaking in water seems to help their appetite. I try to feed them mid day when they have had enough time to warm up. Late morning may also work, but when they have worked up an appetite in the early afternoon they may be more receptive to eating. Also, I remove the food after about 30 minutes if they have not eaten. If they get used to it being there, they can tend to be less interested in it.

I hope this helps – I know this is very stressful to go through as I've been there. It's great that you are watching over this little box turtle so thoughtfully. Hopefully things will turn around soon.

tiffew

Hi. What ended up getting your turtle to eat? I'm dealing with the same problem over here and tried everything you did.