4 month old Leopard tortoises - one not eating?

Noma93

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi there!

I've just joined this forum as I have just got two 4 month old Leopard Torts (Forrest and Crumpet) - picture attached. Crumpet is slightly bigger than Forrest and we feel that she is the only one who is eating. We have watched them for a few days now and attempted to feet Forrest however she is not eating any of the food we leave out.

We let them have a stroll in the garden this afternoon (making the most of some English sunshine!) and Forrest ran straight to find a hide whereas Crumpet enjoyed exploring and was enjoying pulling and eating the grass.

We have the UV and spotlights set up as instructed, provide them with fresh water every day and have bathed them every day. They also do not seem to enjoy bath time and seem to just want to get out of the tub that we tub that we put them in - does anyone else experience this?

Looking forward to getting some advice!

Thanks.

Attachments

• 32566573_10215894447343501_2820805159892811776_n.jpg
    32566573_10215894447343501_2820805159892811776_n.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 38

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Hi there!

I've just joined this forum as I have just got two 4 month old Leopard Torts (Forrest and Crumpet) - picture attached. Crumpet is slightly bigger than Forrest and we feel that she is the only one who is eating. We have watched them for a few days now and attempted to feet Forrest however she is not eating any of the food we leave out.

We let them have a stroll in the garden this afternoon (making the most of some English sunshine!) and Forrest ran straight to find a hide whereas Crumpet enjoyed exploring and was enjoying pulling and eating the grass.

We have the UV and spotlights set up as instructed, provide them with fresh water every day and have bathed them every day. They also do not seem to enjoy bath time and seem to just want to get out of the tub that we tub that we put them in - does anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
I bought 2 baby sulcata tortoises, and was told to separate becuase of bullying. I waited 2 weeks until I seen bullying myself. I seperated and in 2 weeks, they both the same size. The big one would always guard the food. I only shower and give sun time together now. They seem happier20180515_133627.jpg20180515_133643.jpg20180515_131149.jpg

Noma93

Essex
Hi Tank & Scooter, thank you for your quick response and for photos of your enclosures - they look great! How did you identify the bullying?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. The smaller one is likely being bullied. Bullying isn’t just physical with torts. It’s a lot of psychological bullying. Torts are solitary creatures and don’t like another tort in their space or eating their food. Separate them immediately.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi Tank & Scooter, thank you for your quick response and for photos of your enclosures - they look great! How did you identify the bullying?
Here are a few signs-
Following, “cuddling”, sharing a hide, sitting on each other, one walking on the food, sitting face to face, and the obvious- biting.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
At first I noticed the big one would eat more and more often. Then I noticed the big one would just hang out on the food even when not eating. Little tort would try and eat and big tort would follow and eat too. Usually the little tort would nibble and leave. They would also do everything together. Hide, eat, walk around. I think they did everything together becuase they're competing. But what topped it off, is when I called they're name's one time, the big one came out it's hide, ran across the enclosure in slow mo and bit the crap out the little tort. I seen him bite little one. Before big one would be active and little one would be shy. Since I seppereated, the big one lazy and just hides. Now the little one is the active one. Always flipping trying to climb. 1523325431989.jpg20180430_191008.jpg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Here are a few signs-
Following, “cuddling”, sharing a hide, sitting on each other, one walking on the food, sitting face to face, and the obvious- biting.
I took like 10 min describing why I thought my sulcatas were bullying each other, and everything I described you posted in 2 sentences lol. I wrote a essay for nothing lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In leopards if they came from the same clutch at the same time it could just be one is smaller then the other. Don't forget although bullying is possible, it's not always the answer for hatchlings specially of some species. When we raise a clutch up before selling them, we don't put them all in separate enclosures until they sell.
Out of my four hatchlings I had one was bigger then the other three and one was the smallest. Just because, they aren't all going to be the same.
Watch for bulling. The bigger one not letting the other eat. Laying on the food. Blocking the food or even hide. Put in two food plates and see if the little one eats more. Bullying always has to be considered but in hatchlings you do need to consider is it not eating or just smaller then the other. If they are both sleeping in the hide, is it because you only have one hide or is it bullying. Once they get out of hatchling size then it can be more likely bullying.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here are a few signs-
With sharing a hide. If there is only one hide they likely will all use it. That then doesn't have to mean bullying when it comes to hatchlings.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
With sharing a hide. If there is only one hide they likely will all use it. That then doesn't have to mean bullying when it comes to hatchlings.

Ah, yeah, I guess the amount of hides has to be taken into account, lol

JanelP

Idaho
As being new to tortoises myself, and having a leopard. I can say my little female is doing much better sine we got a routine down. she used to try to get out of the bath all the time. Now I can tell you exactly what she does the entire hour she is in there. She still occasionally pushes on the sides, but not franticly. sometimes she even takes a nap. Shes eating much better on a routine as well. I just mix up which weeds I put in there with her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there!

Thanks.
Hello and welcome.

Most of the advice given for this species is wrong. We've been doing it wrong for decades, and most breeders and sellers still haven't figured it out. They start them way too dry, and many people let them get much too cool.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side. basking area and overnight low?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using to maintain these temps? What type of bulbs?
What size enclosure?
What substrate are they on?

Don't worry about them getting active in the soak water. Its good exercise.You can try soaking them earlier in the day, or later, or with warmer or cooler water, but either way, don't worry about it. Just make sure the water stays warm for the duration of the soak.

Give these a read through:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/