jailashah

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose California
Hello, I have two 4 month old Sulcata tortoises. Recently one of the them started making squeaking noises. I took it to the vet and they said that the baby has respiratory click and swollen right nostril and also dealing with active bacterial infection. We have been giving Fortaz(3 injectable shots until now) and 7 more to go (suggested by reptile Vet). I still see a bit of runny nose and sometimes squeaking noises. I am worried. Is there anything else I can do?
Usually day temperature - 85 - 100 F
(Basking temperature - 95 - 110 F)
Night temperature - 80-100 F
Humidity varies between 30% - 80%

jailashah

San Jose California
Both the sulcata are eating properly and walking and active.

We generally use Forest Floor and Eco earth as a substrate, but reptile vet suggested to use Towel and Heating mat when the Sulcata is under medication.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not use a heat mat for a baby. Also they need to be living in separate enclosures. Tortoises should not be in pairs. The stress alone of being in a pair could have brought some of this on. No need to not use substrate either but paper towel or news paper is okay if you feel the need.
Raise the temp for the sick one in its own enclosure to no lower then 85 day and night along with the basking area of 95-100.

jailashah

San Jose California
We got both the Sulcata together from same breeder and have been kept together since day1. But yes, will keep separate enclosure for both of them and maintain the temperature too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Doesn't matter that they came from the same breeder, they should not be kept in pairs. If it was a good breeder, they would have either told you not to keep them together or not sold you two of them.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I would add that it takes a while for the Fortaz to completely work. It has to build up in their system over time, which is why it's important to continue the treatment and not skip doses. It's not unusual to see some symptoms present even after all the doses have been administered.