4 months hatchlings growing too fast? Obese? (with video)

kameko

Location (City and/or State)
France
We have three Western Hermann Tortoises born 4 months ago. This is our first time keeping them from hatchlings.

They were born weighing around 0.5oz (15g), and after just 4 months, they have quadrupled and now weigh around 2oz (60g) each, 2.5in (6.5cm) in shell length.
Is this within a healthy growth rate?

They are very active and have huge appetites all the time. When we put our hands in the enclosure, they run to the hands.
We are feeding them twice a day, with many varieties of leafy greens and wild dandelions, etc. We give them ready-made tortoise pellets every other day.
We decided to skip hibernation for this winter.

Thanks so much!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as they have room to roam and are active they can't get obese. I would however cut back on the pellets as that usually puts faster growth on. Maybe feed only 2 or 3 times a week.
They look great btw.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have three Western Hermann Tortoises born 4 months ago. This is our first time keeping them from hatchlings.

They were born weighing around 0.5oz (15g), and after just 4 months, they have quadrupled and now weigh around 2oz (60g) each, 2.5in (6.5cm) in shell length.
Is this within a healthy growth rate?

They are very active and have huge appetites all the time. When we put our hands in the enclosure, they run to the hands.
We are feeding them twice a day, with many varieties of leafy greens and wild dandelions, etc. We give them ready-made tortoise pellets every other day.
We decided to skip hibernation for this winter.

Thanks so much!!
They are not fat and that growth rate sounds healthy and normal.

Check this out:

kameko

France
As long as they have room to roam and are active they can't get obese. I would however cut back on the pellets as that usually puts faster growth on. Maybe feed only 2 or 3 times a week.
They look great btw.
Thanks, @wellington! So happy to hear it.
We will reduce the pellets from now on. They will be disappointed because they adore the pellets. A little like kids with MacDonald's burgers...

kameko

France
They are not fat and that growth rate sounds healthy and normal.

Check this out:
Thank you @Tom, so reassuring!
Yes, I have read your lists when we got them :)
I will re-read them and double-check if our little ones are happy and on the right track.
Whoop whoop!