4 year old Hermann getting aggressive

Alexx24

Hello I've got a 4 year old male Hermann just recently he's started to get a but aggressive, I've noticed he starts to run (and I mean run) towards my hand when I put his food in his house. I left my finger there to see what he'd actually do if he caught it and he went to bite me! He's also started to get his private parts out a lot more! It's grown a huge amount to what it was a few months ago! It scared me the first time it came out!! Could he be getting aggressive because he's reached a certain age? I've never seen him like this he's normally really laid back! Thank you in advance x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It could be an increase in aggression due to maturity. Give him some time and he should settle down a bit again. Have you been doing any hand feeding?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its also most common to see this during this time of year when temps are warming up (some places anyway) and days are getting longer. Springtime kicks their hormones into high gear.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Some are just cheeky.....I have a redfoot tort here that runs (yes, runs :p) for me every time the "hand" goes into his enclosure.....he rams it, backs up to it and rubs on it like a bear on a tree....I just pick him up with the other hand, place the food where I want it and then place him back down again.....

Don't take it personal, he is a tortoise :D