4x8 FT. MINIMUM IS NOT FOR ALL TORTOISE

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have noticed a few times that people are recommending the 4x8 foot minimum for almost all tortoises.
This size is only for Russians, Hermanns, and a few other small species that we don't really see much of on here.
It is not a minimum for any of the tortoise that get larger.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Agreed. And even for smaller species, 4x8 sounds awfully small. I built multiple 10ft x 10ft habitats, and the RTs use every inch. I'm already redesigning expansions, to give them more space.

Things that make a habitat feel bigger: break up the sight distance. Make hills and valleys and put rocks and shrubs in the way so the tortoise can't see more than a foot or so at a time. Put in different ground materials, soil, river rock, flat rocks, even an area that is harder to traverse. Add driftwood and larger rocks.

I want to make a 'spare' habitat that I cna rotate three tortoises at a time into when the weeds in another habitat get sparse. Giving one habitat a chance to regrow the plants.

I think rather than asking ourselves how small we can get away with, we need to think bigger: how much space can I afford to give the tortoises? And... Then get creative and stretch the budget. Freecycle and Buy Nothing are good sources for free building materials. Habitat for Humanity Re-Stores have super cheap materials. Neighborhood recycling/clean-up day can also bring out a lot of good stuff usable for a good tortoise build.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with everything biochemnerd808 said. Always try to go bigger for any species.
But remember the 4x8 minimum is for the Mediterranean species, mainly Russian and Hermanns.