5 month old sulcata still has a belly button

Shakow

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Good day everyone! Is it normal for a 5 month old sulcata to still have a umbelical cord? Though he is healthy I am still a little worried. Please see attached picture for reference.

Attachments

• received_954895435794719.jpeg
    received_954895435794719.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good day everyone! Is it normal for a 5 month old sulcata to still have a umbelical cord? Though he is healthy I am still a little worried. Please see attached picture for reference.
No. It is a sign that the breeder skipped the brooder box stage and instead put the baby directly into an enclosure with dry substrate. They probably did't soak it much either. Almost no one starts babies correctly.

There is nothing you can do about it now. Just house the baby correctly and hope for the best. It looks like your baby is already past that critical 50 gram mark, so it should be fine.

Read this to make sure you are doing everything you can for this baby:

Shakow

Philippines
No. It is a sign that the breeder skipped the brooder box stage and instead put the baby directly into an enclosure with dry substrate. They probably did't soak it much either. Almost no one starts babies correctly.

There is nothing you can do about it now. Just house the baby correctly and hope for the best. It looks like your baby is already past that critical 50 gram mark, so it should be fine.

Read this to make sure you are doing everything you can for this baby:
Thanks a lot Tom! Another thing, he's shedding some skin in the neck part. Is it normal as they grow bigger? I soak him every morning and with hydrate 3x a week.

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_073023.jpg
    IMG_20230506_073023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4