5 year old horsfield tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee83

5 Year Member
I Bought him a few days ago and I've had the UVB lamp on 12 hours off 12 hours and heat lamp on 24 hours it's 90 deg under light is this ok or should I switch off at night I bought him from pet store and she said keep the lamp on is this right on the cool side is about 70 deg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi lee83:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name "Lee?"

and may we know appx where in the world you are?

What kind of light are you using? I have a mercury vapor bulb, and I have it hanging over one end of the habitat. Directly under the light its about 100F degrees, then it moves to room temp, around 70 towards the other end. I keep the light on for about 12 or 14 hours a day, and because its not cold here at night, I don't have anything on at night. If its cold there at night, you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) which provides heat without light, for night time.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Welcome. I hope there are pics to come. As previously stated we love them! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, set it on a timer (inexpensive one is fine) for 12 to 14 hours per day. They need lights out like the rest of us!
You won't need heat at night if your house (and the area he is in) stays above 60. They like cooling off at night and then having a 'warm up' under the basking light in the am.

Be sure to soak him in a small plastic container in shallow warm water daily for about a week then 2-3x per week. Won't hurt to make sure he is nice and hydrated.

Welcome!

lee83

5 Year Member
Thanks to your help so far Ok so I have an infa red heat lamp so I should turn off at night? My house is 60 plus at night. And another question how much veg and fruit pellets do I give him is it every other day and what quantity please

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi lee83:

A five year old Russian tortoise is big enough to have an outdoor habitat. Being outside is the very best, most healthy thing for a tortoise. If you HAVE to have him indoors, then it is imperative that you provide the correct lighting for him. Tortoises need the sun in order to get the vitamin d3 they need for the calcium to make strong bones and shell. Without the sun or an expensive UV light, a tortoise will get soft and die.

So, you can leave your red light on at night, but you also need a UVB light for during the day.

As far as the pellets go, I'd be surprised if your tortoise eats them. He should be eating dark, leafy greens, or weeds and plants from outside. And Russian tortoises eat a lot, every day.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Horsfields should be mostly on a diet of mixed leafy greens. They cannot process the sugars in fruit and should not be fed fruit generally.

Soaked pellets are OK to feed as part of well balanced leafy diet maybe 2-3 times a week.

You can look up good stuff to feed on The Tortoise Table Plant Database

lee83

5 Year Member
Hi I have a UVB light on 12 hours a day I live in London so at the moment I can't put him outside as its too cold. I sprinkle calcium on his food too am I supposed to do this weekly and I'm not sure on the amount of food to give him daily or will he eat till his full

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm not so far from you and I agree the weather is dreadful... a very wet drought!

While he's growing, give what he eats... Horsfields can be piggies and eat all day, but unless you see a problem, I wouldn't worry... as long as he's eating the right stuff of course!

lee83

5 Year Member
Do you know how often I sprinkle his food with calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.