Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Only 5 really I didn't know they can produce eggs that young are they fertile

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Only 5 really I didn't know they can produce eggs that young are they fertile
She turns 5 sometime this month, Her name is Enoch (thought she would be male) She came as a hatchling from ATC in Oct 2010, Her straight length measurement is between 20 and 21 inches. I don't remember her weight but pretty sure it is around 50 pounds They could be fertile, This summer is the first time she has been with males, and I've witnessed some hanky panky going on out there.:D

Len B

10 Year Member!
I was able to weigh Enoch today she is 52.2 pounds, she is acting normal now, yesterday she stayed inside her house, but was the first one out this morning. I also weighed Toad, another young (41 months) female sulcata,She weighed in at 40.6 pounds and19 inches straight measurement. at this rate she will be heaver than Enoch is now at 5 years of age.

Len B

10 Year Member!
It's been30 days since her first clutch of 23 eggs. This morning she was up and about early and very active.She started digging a new nest about 10:45 am, she is still working on it. Where she is digging has a lot of tree roots, hopefully she can dig through them.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Sweet baby. I kinda feel like I violated her privacy viewing the pictures though...LOL

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
do you mind me asking what you feed them and how much per day? I am impressed with your growth rates and the shells still look great. my 8yr old rescue is only 11-12 inches and under 10 pounds. Since ive had him he has grown a full inch in the last month and a half.

thanks! and great pics

Len B

10 Year Member!
It's been30 days since her first clutch of 23 eggs. This morning she was up and about early and very active.She started digging a new nest about 10:45 am, she is still working on it. Where she is digging has a lot of tree roots, hopefully she can dig through them.
Well, Walker woke up and disturbed Enoch enough to make her stop the nesting process. She walked across the yard for a drink of water and then went in her house. This morning she was out wandering the yard a little after sun up. Eventually she returned to the unfinished hole from yesterday and started working like she never left it. Hours later she finished laying and started covering covering the eggs.I was able to lift her butt out of the hole and remove 27 eggs without much trouble,todayseggs.jpg When I had finished and scooted her sorta in the same position she was in, she went back to filling the hole.

Len B

10 Year Member!
do you mind me asking what you feed them and how much per day? I am impressed with your growth rates and the shells still look great. my 8yr old rescue is only 11-12 inches and under 10 pounds. Since ive had him he has grown a full inch in the last month and a half.

thanks! and great pics
The main diet are the weeds and grass that make up my lawn. I started cutting and drying it for winter feeding. They also get several types of opuntia, both pads and fruit. When available leaves from mulberry, grape, honey suckle, virginia creeper, and some other seasonal plants. I also feed both mazuri types, some daily, especially in the winter, On how much per day ? I let them have all the greens they want so they never have to go to sleep hungry. During real cold weather the 3 youngest have unlimited access to a bowl of LS mazuri. Walker my oldest prefers the original formula and Sylvia with his deformities can't figure how to eat either type dry. I am near Wash DC and keep the sulcatas outside all year. I've had Walker (my oldest) since hatching in 1996 and the youngest is Alex at 3 years. Good Luck with your new family member.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
Thank you Len! I spent a winter in Fort Eustis/Newport News, VA so I know what kind of weather you go through. Its good to hear about someone successfully keeping them outside in that area. I bring mine in for the night now that its getting colder at night and I dont have a proper night box built yet. He seems to enjoy his heated box and heat pad in the kitchen and I always keep his food plate full.

Back to your original topic. Do you have to worry about rotating the eggs and drowning the yoke? or is there a period that you can move them around freely? Ive heard that some eggs are like that but Im not sure about tortoise eggs

Len B

10 Year Member!
Enoch is at it again, She started one hole, Enochnesting111115.jpg Then moved a few feet and started another.Enoch2ndnest111115.jpg Hopefully she will stick with this one because we are in the mid 60s and not many hours of sunlight left. I hung a CHE over her to add a little heat. This will be her third clutch in 60 days,

Len B

10 Year Member!
Enoch is nesting again. Enochnesting121115.jpg We are at 70 degrees F and have about 2.5 hours of daylight left, hoping she finishes soon, but if not I have everything ready to add light and heat Wondering if laying eggs once a month is normal for sulcatas ?