5 Year Old Sulcata

Eduardo Hernandez

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
In my free time, I like to go on Craigslist in the pets section to see if any tortoises need rescuing. Today, I saw someone with a 5 year old sulcata (at least they claim its 5 years old) who lives in a 20 gallon tank :( its also pyramiding pretty bad, as they have no water bowl and use cider or pine shavings (I'm guessing, as the ad doesn't state it).

So my question is, how big should a 5 year old sulcata be? Definitely not small enough for a 20 gallon tank right?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Right. They all grow at different rates. I've seen on here 5 year olds that physically wouldn't fit in a 20 gal.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Right. They all grow at different rates. I've seen on here 5 year olds that physically wouldn't fit in a 20 gal.

Thanks! Thats what I thought. I wish I could help the poor guy, but I have no room for it. The owner also had a light (maybe heat? looks pretty bright) about 2 inches from the opening of his hide, so that the hide is lit as well. probably stresses him out and he can't get cool enough if he wanted to.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Like Teresa said, a 5 year old Sulcata shouldn't even be able to fit in a 20 allow tank..thats heart breaking