5 yr old Sulcata - do they slow down in winter ?

CaryFiona

Hi there,

We got a 5 yr old Sulcata this summer. We live in NC.
When it was hot she would eat plenty and disappear off to sleep under a bush.
Since its got colder - I have moved her indoors (in her tortoise house and in our study) and have had a heat lamp on (plus UV in the day time) but she seems really lethargic and is barely eating. I'm wondering if this is normal in the winter ? I'm now starting to get worried.

Many thanks for any advice !

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They will slow down a little but not much . He or she needs it warm year round . They don't like being moved to new enclosures . It will take it a few days to get back to normal . Just check the temperature at tortoise level . Keep it at around 85/90 then slow fade a little cooler . Never let it drop below 70 at night .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Im guessing ur Sully isnt warm enough during the day. Your sully needs a good warm house to sleep in and hide out, but also needs warm ambient temps to come out and wander about and eat. The heat lamp might only be warming up one area depending on enclosure, wattage, etc.

Bee62

Germany
If a sulcata tortoise does not eat and behave lethargic something must be wrong with it. They need it very warm day and night. Please check the temperature of the enclosure of your tortoise.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
I have a six year old that lives outside with a heated house and never slows down, sometimes I think he eats more in the winter. We live in SouthCarolina.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
As the days get shorter, and cooler, my sulcata will eat less overall than he does during the warmer months. He is active, however. He comes out every day to bask in the sun, walk about the yard, and eat. Rainy days are the exception.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
He is just a bit over 2 years old , Speedy has slowed down a bit with the cooler weather . He still comes out to eat , and check things out ! Probably wants to make sure I haven't messed stuff up in his enclosure ! He will sit in the sun and bask a while , then go back in and poop on his heat mat !

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
My Alice is active in summer. Now at 25 degrees here in Pa. She goes outside in the snow and ice and spends half hour there. Back into her bed for half hour and them back out for another jog around her playground. I suspect that your resting place is a tad cooler than your guy needs. They can take the cool as long as they have a special place to get heated back up. It surely doesn't take long to get heated back up..

20161214_145506.jpg

20161204_122455.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,

We got a 5 yr old Sulcata this summer. We live in NC.
When it was hot she would eat plenty and disappear off to sleep under a bush.
Since its got colder - I have moved her indoors (in her tortoise house and in our study) and have had a heat lamp on (plus UV in the day time) but she seems really lethargic and is barely eating. I'm wondering if this is normal in the winter ? I'm now starting to get worried.

Many thanks for any advice !

They should not slow down all that much in winter if they are housed warm enough.

CaryFiona

Thanks everyone - I did wonder if she wasn't warm enough - I've ordered a heat pad and thermostat which will arrive tomorrow - does anyone know what temp I should set the thermostat to?
With regards to feeding - I give her the dried grass/ flower pellets, mustard greens, mixed greens and the occasional strawberry - is there anything else she would love ? Thanks so much - so happy I found this forum !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks everyone - I did wonder if she wasn't warm enough - I've ordered a heat pad and thermostat which will arrive tomorrow - does anyone know what temp I should set the thermostat to?
With regards to feeding - I give her the dried grass/ flower pellets, mustard greens, mixed greens and the occasional strawberry - is there anything else she would love ? Thanks so much - so happy I found this forum !

Grass and weeds should make up the majority of the diet. Occasional flowers and succulents of the right type are good too, but I would skip the fruit. Its not good for them.

The heat mat should help, but they need a warm area to hang out in. A warm belly in a cold room with cold air is not great for them. I did it that way for years and my tortoise were able to survive, but its just not ideal. When I made the switch to a warmer environment, the difference was astounding. Here is what works for me:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/
One of these boxes could be used indoors too. It basically gives them a warm retreat with warm air and a warm floor to return to after walking around in an area that is not as warm. We have cooler days here in winter, usually in the 60s or low 70s, but my tortoises always have these warm boxes to go back to, so they do fine.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Just for your info. Here in eastern Pa. we had 1 degree weather.. Even though Alice wanted to go out and play I absolutely didn't let her go.....She really wasn't happy. She wont be tomorrow either for it is going to be colder... I do let her go into the hot tub room which we have a heater on to get it fro 30 to 50. That is ok for her...

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It was pouring rain and in the high 50s today. Charlie's night box was 82 degrees when I opened up his door. There was sweat on his face so I guess he was too warm. He stared out at the rain for hours and finally couldn't resist getting out there and grazing.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It was pouring rain and in the high 50s today. Charlie's night box was 82 degrees when I opened up his door. There was sweat on his face so I guess he was too warm. He stared out at the rain for hours and finally couldn't resist getting out there and grazing.
Are you sure it was sweat? I don't believe they sweat.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have seen Chuck do the same thing. That is, come out to graze when it's 57° and raining. And, he has sat in his box all day when it is sunny and 65° outside.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Are you sure it was sweat? I don't believe they sweat.
I don't know if it is called sweat but they do get wet on their faces around their eyes when they are too hot. I've seen him like that on hot summer days.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I don't know if it is called sweat but they do get wet on their faces around their eyes when they are too hot. I've seen him like that on hot summer days.
Ok I was just wondering, I had heard they didn't so I didn't know for sure.