501 C 3 dedicated to endangered tortoise species assurance colonies ?

JeffR

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I would be very interested to learn from anyone who has successfully started a 501c3 dedicated to endangered tortoise species and developing assurance colonies. More interested in a conservation type nonprofit than a rescue type nonprofit.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
You should check out the Turtle Conservancy. They have quite a few assurance colonies, including a huge group of A. yniphora. Their annual magazine, The Tortoise, is an enjoyable read as well.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Here's another post from a few months ago on the topic. It started with the OP wanting to reintroduce tortoises that he raised, and ended with him setting on having endangered species as a sort of roadside attraction.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would be very interested to learn from anyone who has successfully started a 501c3 dedicated to endangered tortoise species and developing assurance colonies. More interested in a conservation type nonprofit than a rescue type nonprofit.
Jeff. We need to talk. That is exactly what we have done with the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. WE are also having a round table discussion on this exact topic at the TTPG conference this Thurs Evening.

Let's get together and discuss this.

Mark

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Really sad I couldn’t make it this year. Very interested in the topic and what y’all are doing with the galops.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good to know all this is going on!

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
Jeff. We need to talk. That is exactly what we have done with the Galapagos Tortoise Alliance. WE are also having a round table discussion on this exact topic at the TTPG conference this Thurs Evening.

Let's get together and discuss this.

Mark
Ok, this is great! Michael Thathuvaswamy and I’ve been discussing reaching out to someone from GTA for advice. I don’t know that he stayed for the round table or not. I didn’t as my ride was leaving.
We’ve discussed things Jeremy and Tyler with TKWG and TKC.
I will send you a message. Lol