55 gallon tank versus small waterland tub

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hi. I just wanted to know which makes a better enclosure between a small to medium waterland tub or a 55 gallon aquarium for six spotted turtles. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
whichever one is bigger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, too small. Do a pond or if they are still small do a couple large wetlands and when they get bigger you could move them outside

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How about a stock tank? It will probably be much cheaper then the water land tubs although the water land tubs would look nicer. I guess it just depends on your budget, where you want it, and how you want it to look.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I checked out the dimensions of the medium tubs seems pretty small for 6 turtles unless they're hatchlings

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
If they are hatchlings then it should be fine but IMO its too small for adults. I have a yearling box turtle that I am housing in a 55 gallon tank for the winter and I feel its giving me that look everyday saying "I've grown up, I need more space!"

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If they are hatchlings then it should be fine but IMO its too small for adults. I have a yearling box turtle that I am housing in a 55 gallon tank for the winter and I feel its giving me that look everyday saying "I've grown up, I need more space!"
you don't want a turtle angry at you they're pretty devious.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hello. The spotted turtles are yearling. I read a caresheet on Austins turle page that three spotted turtles could easily fit I'm a 55 gallon. I also have a medium waterland tub that I can fit three more spotteds in.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hello. I have attached pics of both enclosures.

Attachments

• IMG_20151103_200557.jpg
    IMG_20151103_200557.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20151103_200614.jpg
    IMG_20151103_200614.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 47

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
There are many ponds here where I live and we always saw Spotted Turtles. I haven't see then in a few years now, but the ponds that they were in, were very big, and pretty deep towards the middle. It would be a shame, IMHO, to keep 6 of them in something so small.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Austin's turtle forum has a care sheet that says that three adult spotteds can easliy fit into a 55 gallon aquarium. I plan to house the other three in the waterland tub.

Five of my spotted turtles are yearlings. I have one adult male who has to be separated becais he pesters the juveniles.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Here's the issue with what you're saying. That aquarium is not a 55. It is smaller. Also, the two Waterlands both appear to be smalls. One is a land and one is a water, but both are small.

A medium water land could house 8 adult spotters fairly easily, if you did not have a male heavy group and if it was set up correctly and thoughtfully, with every measure taken to reduce stress.

6 adults in a small water land is pushing it. I like the idea of splitting them between enclosures, which might give you a chance to move them around if/when there is aggression from persistent males.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
The tank shown in the picture is a 55 gallon. I got it from Petco dollar per gallon sale. Most over my spotted turtles are yearlings and I think that they could be housed in the small waterland tub. I had to separate my adult male and he is now housed in a twenty gallon long .

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
If you can swing it...to reduce aggression and stress...honedepot has black storage units that are 55g. They cost me 22 each for my adukt male res. I has 2, each lived in 1 comfortably. Something to consider or search craigslist.