55lb Sulcata bleeding from tip of worn away toe.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Texas, yeehaw
Hey Everybody,
It has been years since I last posted on this forum. I still have Wally, my female sulcata. She weighs about 55 pounds now. Today I noticed drops of blood around the patio area where she likes to walk around and sun. It appears that she has either cut herself, torn, or worn away one of her toe nails. Should I treat this or leave it alone? The bleeding stopped, but it reminds me of the quick of a cat's toe nail. I believe this may be the same thing, but I am not familiar with the terminology of tortoise foot anatomy. I am not familiar with any exotic pet vets in my area. I feel like this is something I can treat. Please let me know if you have experienced this or know what to do in this situation.

Thank you.
Dutton
IMG_4932.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That doesn't look worn down to me. It look like an injury from digging at something hard like concrete or a jagged rock.

Can we see a pic form a different perspective. Like from the front so we can see where on the foot this is.

I would disinfect with peroxide or betadine one time, and then spray some vetricyn on it daily for a couple of weeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Dutton! Good to know you're still with us.

It's hard to get the right orientation with that close up picture. but I'm guessing that a nail or spur has been yanked off. It's painful, but not life threatening. Clean it up and apply first aid. It will harden off and repair itself.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Hey, Dutton! Good to know you're still with us.

It's hard to get the right orientation with that close up picture. but I'm guessing that a nail or spur has been yanked off. It's painful, but not life threatening. Clean it up and apply first aid. It will harden off and repair itself.
Thanks Yvonne! You're the best. I'm glad to hear from you :).
Anyways, it's a picture of her right foot. The bottom left side of the photo is the pad of her foot. The maroon colored spur is the outer toe nail and seems to have ripped off at the tip. She hasn't bled anymore. I think I just happened to go outside right when it happened because the blood on the ground was still wet. I'm going to do what Tom suggested. I seriously doubt it'll get any worse. It's a small injury, but it sure must be a very vascular area because it looked like someone had a bloody nose outside.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
That doesn't look worn down to me. It look like an injury from digging at something hard like concrete or a jagged rock.

Can we see a pic form a different perspective. Like from the front so we can see where on the foot this is.

I would disinfect with peroxide or betadine one time, and then spray some vetricyn on it daily for a couple of weeks.
Thanks Tom. I'll do that and keep a close eye on it. She most certainly does have concrete and rocks, but upon closer inspection I think she may have sliced/ ripped it off on this metal lip that the backyard door slides on. It's not "sharp" sharp, but she does spend alot of time scraping against the glass door trying to open it...Yes, she figured out long ago that she can open the door -_-... Sometimes if I forget to lock it before leaving the house, I'll come home to her in my bedroom and dirt/ mud tracked through the house.

Anyways, I really appreciate the help and advice. I would hate for it to get infected! I've had wally since she was a hatchling. Peroxide, Betadine, and vetricyn. Got it.

IMG_4936.jpg

Last edited:

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Just wanted to tie up this thread. Wally healed up quickly. It turns out the cut wasn't that bad, just a very vascular area apparently. I used betadine on the cut and it started looking better within a couple of days. I also modified the door so there wasn't an exposed lip for her to catch her toes on.