5th Annual TTPG Conference

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Who's goin'?

They've extended the conference by an extra day so that we can caravan around AZ to look at how some people here house their tortoises. Neato!

Here's the line up of speakers:Thursday, November 13, 2014
8:30 to 9:00 am – mingle and continental breakfast
9:00 am – WELCOME (TTPG) Russ Gurley
9:05 to 9:45 am – John Richards (Loggerhead Acres) “My Life with Giants - 20 Years of Keeping and Breeding Alligator Snapping Turtles”
9:45 am to 10:15 am - Hans-Dieter Philippen “Tortoises of Namibia”
10:15 am to 10:30 am MORNING BREAK
10:30 am to 11:00 am - Andrew Hermes (Arizona Tortoise Center) “Breeding Tortoises in the Heat”
11:00 am to 11:30 am Phil Goss (USARK) “Sea Kittens! We’re Losing a War with Sea Kittens!”
11:30 am to 12:00 pm - Edward Newell “Application Specific Zoological Lighting Design-Zonal UVA/B”
12:00 pm to 2:00 pm LUNCH
2:00 pm to 2:30 pm - Barry Lambert “Captive Care and Breeding of Graptemys species”
2:30 pm to 3:15 pm - Cord Offermann DVM “Keeping and Breeding Brown Mountain Tortoises, Manouria emys”
3:15 pm to 4:00 pm - John Cann “Australian Emydura subglobosa and Other Mysteries”
4:00 pm to 4:30 pm – Mark Wallace “Keeping and Breeding Asian Big-headed Turtles, Platysternon megacephalum”
4:30 pm to 4:45 pm AFTERNOON BREAK
4:45 pm to 5:00 pm Richard Fife “An Update on the FDA 4” Regulation”
5:00 pm to 5:30 pm Hans-Dieter Philippen “Studbook Breeding - the European Way”
5:30 pm to 6:00 pm - Stephan Böhm “Experiences in Captivity and Nature with the European Pond Turtle, Emys orbicularis”
6:00 pm to 6:30 pm – Alan Shoemaker “Updated: Permits and Regulations Affecting the Turtle Community”
6:45 to ??? - Dinner together or on our own
8:00 pm to 9:00 pm For interested parties, Alan Shoemaker will present a workshop on applying successfully for the Captive Born Wildlife Permit.
FRIDAY, November 14, 2014
8:30 to 9:00 am – mingle and continental breakfast
9:00 to 9:30 am - Wayne Hill “Going Green - Making Your Turtle Facility More Environmentally Friendly”
9:30 am to 10:00 am - Ed Pirog “Captive Care of the Egyptian Tortoise, Testudo kleinmanni”
10:00 to 10:30 am - Cris Hagen (Turtle Survival Alliance) “The Sulawesi Forest Turtle (Leucocephalon yuwonoi): Wild Encounters and Captive Management”
10:30 am to 11:15 am – Stephan Böhm “Keeping and Breeding the Gibba Turtle, Mesoclemmys gibba”
CONCLUSION - Russ Gurley
12:00 pm to 1:30 pm – lunch banquet and banquet speaker: John Cann - “Turtles Down Under”

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'll be there already planned my vacation for that week so my boss cannt say " I'm sorry I need you to work " . And Yvonne G we would nt want to change a thing about you . But I would still like to see ya . So stay just the way you are .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I wish there were more reptile things like that in Ohio... the only thing I can find is in Columbus, and it's just an expo :(

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I just looked it up, it sounds so fun! I bet there's a good tortoises sitter out there somewhere that would do a good job... the horror stories though :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'd love to be seeing how folks are housing their animals.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I will be there!

turtlemanfla88

I went to Turtle Survival Alliance conference this year and it was great and it was my first. I think about going to this great list of speakers. I do not like to fly so that means road trip from Florida.

Turtlepete

South Florida
If I could get time off college I'd be there in a heartbeat. :-/. So many awesome speakers….

I wish they'd live stream these kinds of things, haha.

GodStillBlesses

Winston, GA
What hotel will everyone be staying? This will be my first trip and I am not sure where to stay and which airport to travel to from ATL.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What hotel will everyone be staying? This will be my first trip and I am not sure where to stay and which airport to travel to from ATL.

The conference is held at the Mesa Marriot. Looks like the rooms are over $100/night. You could probably find something cheaper within a reasonable driving distance.

I'm not sure if any of the airlines that fly into Phoenix-Mesa Gateway from Atlanta, but if they do that would be what I would look into first. Otherwise you'll need to go through Sky Harbor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I stay at local cheapie hotels. Just be aware that there are some shady people in the cheaper parts of town. I always have at least two protection dogs and other self defense measures in place when I'm there, so I don't worry about it. Might be worth the price of the room to just stay at the Marriot for some people. Its nice there and nothing to worry about.

GodStillBlesses

Winston, GA
I stay at local cheapie hotels. Just be aware that there are some shady people in the cheaper parts of town. I always have at least two protection dogs and other self defense measures in place when I'm there, so I don't worry about it. Might be worth the price of the room to just stay at the Marriot for some people. Its nice there and nothing to worry about.
Thank you for the info. I will keep that in mind.

GodStillBlesses

Winston, GA
The conference is held at the Mesa Marriot. Looks like the rooms are over $100/night. You could probably find something cheaper within a reasonable driving distance.

I'm not sure if any of the airlines that fly into Phoenix-Mesa Gateway from Atlanta, but if they do that would be what I would look into first. Otherwise you'll need to go through Sky Harbor.
I will look thank you.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Neal,
You said they extended the conference by a day. Last year it was two days and appears two days in November. When is the time to see local keepers setups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I believe it's the day prior. But Neal must have the secret insider scoop because I haven't really seen any info on it. Neal tell us your secrets!! :p