6 month old Box Turtle wont eat red worms.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, Alabama
Hello everyone, as some of you know I have a 6 month old three toe box turtle named Max. He eats real good and is really growing. When I first got him I thought I would be a good idea to raise red worms to feed him. I purchased 1000 and have tried to get him to eat one several times. He would bite it one time and that was all, he just does not like them. He loves worms I dig in the yard. If I hold one of the yard worms up and he sees it, he will come charging to get it. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this? Thanks Gerry

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hello everyone, as some of you know I have a 6 month old three toe box turtle named Max. He eats real good and is really growing. When I first got him I thought I would be a good idea to raise red worms to feed him. I purchased 1000 and have tried to get him to eat one several times. He would bite it one time and that was all, he just does not like them. He loves worms I dig in the yard. If I hold one of the yard worms up and he sees it, he will come charging to get it. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this? Thanks Gerry
Can't be helped. They're just like us. I hate green beans with a fiery passion. I don't care if it's in soup, I'm picking it out. They're the same way and have a preference to certain foods. I have a picky box turtle that will spit liver out even if it's in a combined mush, while everyone else likes it.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Can't be helped. They're just like us. I hate green beans with a fiery passion. I don't care if it's in soup, I'm picking it out. They're the same way and have a preference to certain foods. I have a picky box turtle that will spit liver out even if it's in a combined mush, while everyone else likes it.
Thanks, I spent a lot of money and time on those red worms. But, I’ll just look at the positive, I learned a lot about raising red worms. Just to dump them out.
Gerry

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First time I bought red worms I noticed they have a strong, pungent smell and I assumed they probably taste as bad as they smell. My turtles wouldn't eat them either. So I tossed them.

I've been buying replacement worms for my worm bed from chewy.com. They call them European night crawlers, but they look just like the earth worms I dig up outside. My turtles eat the worms in my worm bed faster than the worms can reproduce, so I buy replacements from Chewy quite often. Amazon sells them too.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
What kind of liver do you feed them and how do you prepare it. I haven’t tried feeding Max liver before. Thanks Gerry

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
What kind of liver do you feed them and how do you prepare it. I haven’t tried feeding Max liver before. Thanks Gerry
Chicken or fish liver. Sometimes I feed it as is or in a mash. Maybe some ground turkey, liver, blueberry and carrots, but I don't feed meat too often.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Don't chuck those worms out yet Gerry. Switch food for them(the worms) to old fruit.....strawberries, lopes, melons,....just mush it up and get it under there, they will eat it and they won't smell like old toes........and likely taste as bad too!

fwiw; Matilda went thru a phase where she wouldn't eat worms ........it lasted a month or so.

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
Don't chuck those worms out yet Gerry. Switch food for them(the worms) to old fruit.....strawberries, lopes, melons,....just mush it up and get it under there, they will eat it and they won't smell like old toes........and likely taste as bad too!

fwiw; Matilda went thru a phase where she wouldn't eat worms ........it lasted a month or so.
To late, red worms are history lol.
I thought the problem may have been what ever the worms had been feed before I got them. So I give them time to maybe change in taste from what I was feeding them. Like you suggested, ground it up in a food processor. It didn’t seem to change anything. Max hated the taste of them.
Gerry