6 month old hatchling and night crawlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordell

5 Year Member
Dots as most know him is about 6 months old now and weighs 79 grams and shell is 2 7/8 inches. Well I have a 3 toe boxie as well and I feed the 3 toe night crawlers. Tonight I fed Dots a night crawler cut into 3 pieces to see what he would do. He LOVED IT! I know they need a little protein now but is this a safe bet for a red foot? Maybe once every 2 weeks give him a worm? If it is not safe what is a safe option? I should have taken a pic he was chowin down!

thanks
cordell

this little guy bit my finger the other day, he was giving it a taste, lol.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
My redfoots get worms regularly and have ever since I got my first ones.

cordell

5 Year Member
Itort said:
My redfoots get worms regularly and have ever since I got my first ones.

cool, he really loved at and was looking around the enclosure for more, lol. i might have gave him another one if i knew it was OK.

thanks
cordell

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My RF likes EW and NC but he goes bonkers for snails and slugs.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio spends a lot of time searching under this water dish and feeding stone because he knows there are worms under there. He loves them. Every now and then I throw a few in his viv and he hunts them down.

Xastur

5 Year Member
I gave my redfoot a worm the other day for the first time and he devoured it. He was scared at first because he's never bit anything that moved before but once he got a taste he kept munching away till there was nothing left but some remnants on his foot from tearing at it. I took some pics but i can't access them at work right now. It sure was a sight.

cordell

5 Year Member
Xastur said:
I gave my redfoot a worm the other day for the first time and he devoured it. He was scared at first because he's never bit anything that moved before but once he got a taste he kept munching away till there was nothing left but some remnants on his foot from tearing at it. I took some pics but i can't access them at work right now. It sure was a sight.

LOL yes it is a sight! my Dots became a animal when I fed that crawler to him. Normally he cruises to the food dish and eats relatively calm. Once he got a taste of the worm he was eating like a mini dinosaur! It was amazing for sure. They way he was searching around for more after he ate it all was cool too. He went into a hunt mode, something my boxie does, but never though my red foot would. Does anyone know where to purchase slugs from? I would hate to catch one and pass a virus to them, my boxie would love a slug just as much as Dots, if not more.

Thanks,
Cordell

I am assuming that Dots is the correct weight and shell size is correct for his age being nobody chimed in on this....
shell 2 7/8 inches
weight 79 grams
age is 2 weeks away from 6 months

post them pics, i will take some nexttime i feed them to him

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm
Terry K. starts giving protein when they are yearlings. But...I really forgot how old I started giving Pio protein and when they are considered yearlings. I know he only got the cat food until last year when he went outside for the summer, but he was two years old then.

Xastur

5 Year Member
Here is fabio chowing down on a worm. I didn't get to the camera at the beginning of the massacre but i sure caught the end of his destruction!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
cordell said:
I know they need a little protein now but is this a safe bet for a red foot? Maybe once every 2 weeks give him a worm? If it is not safe what is a safe option? I should have taken a pic he was chowin down!

thanks
cordell

this little guy bit my finger the other day, he was giving it a taste, lol.

Woms ... even baby pinkies!.... :D
Females need alot of protien during breeding time ..
JD~

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
So I am not trying to hijack the thread but are pansies ok for RF? I bought bunch on clearance at walmart and wanted to plant some in maynard's enclosure but I wanted to double check if they are ok to eat if he so chooses. thanks in advance for answers.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio loves Pansies...eats them right down to the ground. My boxies love the flowers too. You have to dead head (?) them if you want them to keep flowering. I usually take some flowers off and chop them up with other greens and mix with a little mazuri.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.