beeandtort

Location (City and/or State)
chichester
hi there!
i’ve had my baby tortoise for 2 months now and she is 6 months old. She’s always had a couple lumps and was the largest out of her brothers and sisters. I am worried she is showing early signs of pyramiding and am looking for advice on how i can help/if it’s an issue. Attached below are some pictures of her habitat and i will provide a list of things that i do.

•UVA UVB heat lamp
•two hides
•water
•slates to eat food
•”tortoise substrate” from a pet shop

•feed once a day a small handful of leafy greens (occasionally twice if she’s hungry)
• do have a calcium block but i don’t think she uses it
• occasionally piece of fruit e.g grape or melon once a week
•bathe twice a week
•mist her enclosure twice a week

if there’s anything i need to change/add please let me know i just want my little girl to be happy! :)

(the white is just calcium dust!)
379DFE93-944D-4FFC-A30B-003AF51F5E22.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Is the uvb bulb an MVB if so then it should be changed. They are known to contribute to pyramiding and desiccating the shell

beeandtort

chichester
Is the uvb bulb an MVB if so then it should be changed. They are known to contribute to pyramiding and desiccating the shell
i don’t think it is, what would be a better alternative? It is not a coil bulb. Is this amount of bump normal or with the right conditions will it start to look better as she was a little bumpy when i got her

Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The long tube CFL are the best and safest like the Arcadia UVB it come in 24,36,48 inches

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A little bit of humidity in the enclosure and changing out the light to a tube type fluorescent bulb with help. The pyramiding you see will never go away, but it will become less noticeable as he grows.