6 Months Late

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
This introduction is long over due but I would like to make it an appreciation post & thank you to all the amazing and supportive members who helped me by answering questions and providing me with the right tools to help guide me in the right direction to take care of my tort.
From the bottom of my heart thank you!
It was a rough start being fed all the wrong information and having a sick baby tort but we’ve made it!
So here is Poe the Marginated tortoise saying hello from humble beginnings until now:
67432986-E773-4639-90BE-EB35F414A815.jpeg1EFE3A1F-EABA-4D10-8370-F9524510252A.jpeg4F671ADE-D1C7-441C-AB1C-1489F04759F5.jpeg0E836DDF-0124-4F14-B99C-A1CE521D8EF1.jpegC1A58B68-531D-4AA9-B67E-F9251FE1D64D.jpegE6D1C180-2073-4BAD-93E5-C7C6432B12AE.jpeg2FAB7731-27BC-443E-A7E0-A55E46964E55.jpeg22E69B58-B333-401C-806C-C77E1186A3AC.jpeg04DB5FBA-C901-4526-8109-CC85C6C743F0.jpeg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Welcome, fellow Canadian! Little Poe is so cute!! I’m glad you were able to get things sorted out quickly for Poe and that s/he’s feeling better. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the pictures, so thanks for posting them. Those are some precious moments you captured. ???

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Welcome, fellow Canadian! Little Poe is so cute!! I’m glad you were able to get things sorted out quickly for Poe and that s/he’s feeling better. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the pictures, so thanks for posting them. Those are some precious moments you captured. ???

Thank you ? he is quite the character and daredevil!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes this forum and its members are amazing.
I still learn something new every time I sign in!
You could make his life a little bit easier by using terracotta plant saucers for his food and water dishes.
If you sink them level with the substrate he will be able to get in and out more easily but he is certainly beautiful!

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Yes this forum and its members are amazing.
I still learn something new every time I sign in!
You could make his life a little bit easier by using terracotta plant saucers for his food and water dishes.
If you sink them level with the substrate he will be able to get in and out more easily but he is certainly beautiful!

I have been searching for terracotta dishes for months! They’re always sold out. I ordered one last month off of amazing but when it arrived it was cheap plastic.
But I do usually sink his bowls into the substrate when I use it, I usually feed him on a ceramic tile or stone

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been searching for terracotta dishes for months! They’re always sold out. I ordered one last month off of amazing but when it arrived it was cheap plastic.
But I do usually sink his bowls into the substrate when I use it, I usually feed him on a ceramic tile or stone
The plastic one will work until you can get a clay one.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think places like Lowes or Walmart and garden centres stock them in the US but I don't know about Canadian stores.
I have used a plastic one, but roughened the inside with sandpaper to improve the grip.
I think that's it he's enjoying in my avatar.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I think places like Lowes or Walmart and garden centres stock them in the US but I don't know about Canadian stores.
I have used a plastic one, but roughened the inside with sandpaper to improve the grip.
I think that's it he's enjoying in my avatar.

Stores just opened back up yesterday so I will have to start my hunt again. Unfortunately I returned the plastic one already as it was flimsy and cheap. Very disappointing, especially since it was $8 for a thin plastic dish, so thin it practically crinkled!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Stores just opened back up yesterday so I will have to start my hunt again. Unfortunately I returned the plastic one already as it was flimsy and cheap. Very disappointing, especially since it was $8 for a thin plastic dish, so thin it practically crinkled!
Ah yes - lockdown will have made it harder to find one!
Any low dish of a similar shape to a plant saucer will work, I've seen some people put flat stones in any with glazed slippery surfaces, but the clay ones have best traction.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Ah yes - lockdown will have made it harder to find one!
Any low dish of a similar shape to a plant saucer will work, I've seen some people put flat stones in any with glazed slippery surfaces, but the clay ones have best traction.

I’ve been using a ceramic tile from an old bathroom reno which is actually under the dish in the picture. It works well except he’s out grown it now and likes to drag all of his food off of it.
I’m having a new indoor enclosure built and everything needs to size up to accommodate him now that he’s more than doubled in size since everything was first purchased

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Your little baby is so cute!? How big will he get when he is full grown?

I think around 10-14” in length depending if he ends up being a she and 11-12lb

I refer to him as a “he” but if one day I found out “he” is a “she” Poe will be nicknamed Posy

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Hello
Get settled in.
You'll be here for years and still learn things.
Maybe even teach us things from your future experiences

There is definitely so much more to learn! I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface but I’m excited for the many years to come with Poe

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Hello to Poe from Harry!
Nice to meet a fellow marginated tort keeper ?
How old is Poe now, and how much does he weigh?

I don’t know how old he is as I don’t really know where he came from unfortunately so I have no hatch date. But he was around 60 grams when I brought him to the vet in the fall and he’s already more than doubled but I haven’t been able to weight him lately but I am very curious to know what he weighs now. I’ve have him for 6 months

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I don’t know how old he is as I don’t really know where he came from unfortunately so I have no hatch date. But he was around 60 grams when I brought him to the vet in the fall and he’s already more than doubled but I haven’t been able to weight him lately but I am very curious to know what he weighs now. I’ve have him for 6 months
I've had mine for about 2.5 months now and I started weighing him weekly after the first month. They do grow very fast!
Looking forward to seeing more pictures of Poe as he grows!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A belated Welcome! Poe is very pretty. You've done a real nice job with him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This introduction is long over due but I would like to make it an appreciation post & thank you to all the amazing and supportive members who helped me by answering questions and providing me with the right tools to help guide me in the right direction to take care of my tort.
From the bottom of my heart thank you!
It was a rough start being fed all the wrong information and having a sick baby tort but we’ve made it!
So here is Poe the Marginated tortoise saying hello from humble beginnings until now:
View attachment 318548View attachment 318549View attachment 318550View attachment 318551View attachment 318552View attachment 318553View attachment 318554View attachment 318555View attachment 318556
THIS is why we do it. Thank you.