60 Minutes on sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Maybe this is redundant, but 60 Minutes tv news magazine will be airing a feature on the Critically Endangered Ploughshare tortoise this Sunday. Check local listings for time and channel in your area.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
This Sunday, December 9th on CBS 60 Minutes

The golden, helmet-shaped shell of the plowshare tortoise makes it one of nature's most beautiful animals. But that shell is also one of the main reasons the reptile has become one of nature's most endangered species: people are willing to pay up to $60,000 or more for one of the rare animals. Lesley Stahl travels to Madagascar to report on efforts to save these ancient reptiles by any means necessary, including defacing its stunning shell. Her report will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, Sunday, Dec. 9 at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Cowboy_Ken said:

The golden, helmet-shaped shell of the plowshare tortoise makes it one of nature's most beautiful animals. But that shell is also one of the main reasons the reptile has become one of nature's most endangered species: people are willing to pay up to $60,000 or more for one of the rare animals. Lesley Stahl travels to Madagascar to report on efforts to save these ancient reptiles by any means necessary, including defacing its stunning shell. Her report will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, Sunday, Dec. 9 at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT.

My friends neighbor had one of these! It's was only a foot long and the guy said he got it from someone on a bike for $10.00! He had no idea what kind of tort he was!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

My friends neighbor had one of these! It's was only a foot long and the guy said he got it from someone on a bike for $10.00! He had no idea what kind of tort he was!

tortoiseboy are you sure it was a ploughshare

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Baoh said:
It might prove difficult to be less correct.

Me and my moms theory was that the guy on the bike STOLE the tortoise, not knowing how much it was worth, sold it for however much he thought he could make off it. Which would be $10.00 But seriously, if some person who knows NOTHING about tortoise's steals a relatively small one and thinks "I'll probably will only be able to make $10.00 off this thing." And who knows! Maybe he was selling it for more and people just said no! So in the end he only got $10.00 off it! Even still, the guy who own's it now had no idea what kind of tortoise he had and was calling it a "turtle" and fed it ONLY lettuce and keeps it in the garage :( I felt so bad for the little guy :( I wanted to adopt him! But I couldn't..... Maybe I should try to get him to sell it to me and rehome him on here....

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Happy to hear about this special on 60 minutes! Chelonians, especially A. ynphora definately deserve to have someone getting their message out. Can't wait to watch it!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Baoh said:
It might prove difficult to be less correct.

Me and my moms theory was that the guy on the bike STOLE the tortoise, not knowing how much it was worth, sold it for however much he thought he could make off it. Which would be $10.00 But seriously, if some person who knows NOTHING about tortoise's steals a relatively small one and thinks "I'll probably will only be able to make $10.00 off this thing." And who knows! Maybe he was selling it for more and people just said no! So in the end he only got $10.00 off it! Even still, the guy who own's it now had no idea what kind of tortoise he had and was calling it a "turtle" and fed it ONLY lettuce and keeps it in the garage :( I felt so bad for the little guy :( I wanted to adopt him! But I couldn't..... Maybe I should try to get him to sell it to me and rehome him on here....

The odds are highly stacked against any of that, including it being a ploughshare tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go get a pic Tortoiseboy.

Who is calling it a ploughshare? Who did the ID? I'll bet $10 its a sulcata or a CDT.

Ken, Thanks for the heads up. I think we'll all be rolling our eyes at the inaccuracies, and arguing about the details. :) Fun stuff...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I think, short of seeing the conservatory, it will be entertaining to see Leslie Stahl living out of a tent. Not many Park Ave. type lodgings in that neck of the woods!

Status
Not open for further replies.