6yo sulcata constant nose whistle

Jimduggins88

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
My sulcata has a constant nose whistle. I have seen no bubbles from nose, eyes look normal, she is active, alert, eating normally, she pees and poops normally. I have already done a round of antibiotics with 0 improvement. I’m not sure what to do. Currently she’s indoors at night and outdoors when temps allow. Her setup indoors is 92F for basking and in the 80’s for the rest. I have a uvb lamp and a repti-fogger that I turn on if I need to bump humidity. The humidity typically stays in the 60-70’s during the day and drops to the mid 50’s at night. Primary diets is grass,dandelion, and clover. She also gets mezurei 1-2 times a week as a treat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcata has a constant nose whistle. I have seen no bubbles from nose, eyes look normal, she is active, alert, eating normally, she pees and poops normally. I have already done a round of antibiotics with 0 improvement. I’m not sure what to do. Currently she’s indoors at night and outdoors when temps allow. Her setup indoors is 92F for basking and in the 80’s for the rest. I have a uvb lamp and a repti-fogger that I turn on if I need to bump humidity. The humidity typically stays in the 60-70’s during the day and drops to the mid 50’s at night. Primary diets is grass,dandelion, and clover. She also gets mezurei 1-2 times a week as a treat.
What size sulcata are we talking about? The age doesn't tell us the size. She could be 6 inches or 60 pounds at that age.

Foggers should not be used blowing directly into tortoise enclosures. Its not good for them to breathe those micro droplets. You can humidity the room with it, but not directly into the enclosure.

Its odd that your humidity is lower at night. Usually it is the opposite.

Jimduggins88

Georgia
What size sulcata are we talking about? The age doesn't tell us the size. She could be 6 inches or 60 pounds at that age.

Foggers should not be used blowing directly into tortoise enclosures. Its not good for them to breathe those micro droplets. You can humidity the room with it, but not directly into the enclosure.

Its odd that your humidity is lower at night. Usually it is the opposite.
She is 13 lbs and about 14in straight measurement. For more information, the fogger is new because without it the humidity isn’t staying high enough and I thought that was causing the whistle. I tried to feed the tube directly under the ceramic heating bulb so it doesn’t fog her directly. I also soak her every other day for 25 min.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is 13 lbs and about 14in straight measurement. For more information, the fogger is new because without it the humidity isn’t staying high enough and I thought that was causing the whistle. I tried to feed the tube directly under the ceramic heating bulb so it doesn’t fog her directly. I also soak her every other day for 25 min.
She is much too large for heat lamps and CHEs now. Time for a new heating strategy BEFORE her carapace gets slow-burned and permanently damaged.

How are you housing her inside? What is the over night low temperature?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A good item to have on hand is an Opti-visor.

1670256140036.png

Soak the tortoise in fairly deep water (so he has to hold his head up) for about a half hour, then take the tortoise out in the sun (very bright light) and look through the magnifying glass into the nostrils. Could be there is some old dried food particles or other debris clogging the nostrils. With the magnifying glass and a slender tweezer you can pick out any blockage.

Jimduggins88

Georgia
She is much too large for heat lamps and CHEs now. Time for a new heating strategy BEFORE her carapace gets slow-burned and permanently damaged.

How are you housing her inside? What is the over night low temperature?
The overnight low’s outside right now are in the 50’s. In her indoor inclosure it doesn’t drop below 80. Right now she has her own room with a homemade tortoise table I guess you could call it. It’s 8x8. I am moving from GA to NC In 4 days. So right now is a perfect time For any advice on changes. I want to build an outdoor setup so she can be outside 24/7 after the move.

Thank you for your time and helping me out.

Last edited: