7 RT eggs from my favorite female!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Woohoo, my favorite female has laid 7 eggs over the last 6 weeks. First 1 HUGE one, then 2 clutches of 3 eggs each, 2.5 weeks apart. 1 clutch was laid in a hole she dug in a cat littler pan full of soil, 1 was laid in a nice outdoor nest hole in the tort garden.

DSC_5537 - Copy.JPG (I used coco coir as substrate for the first clutch of 3 because I didn't have vermiculite on hand)

They have all chalked over, but I haven't candled, since I am determined to just leave them alone and wait and see.

They are incubating at 89 degrees - aiming for females.

On a side note, I found last year that temps fluctuated quite a bit when I relied just on the dial-style thermostat of the Hovabator. This year I attached a Hydrofarm thermostat to the system, and the temperatures are MUCH more stable. I piled quilts around the edges of the incubator and placed 2 containers of water in there, as well. :)

Keeping my fingers crossed for babies!

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Very cool more cb tortoises .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! What a great haul. I hope they all hatch for you. She must be tired and hungry now. :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Thanks folks. We'll see in 60-100 days, right? :)

@Tom, she has mostly been hungry, not really tired. She is eating weeds all day long and is eating cuttlefish bones as if they were candy. Obviously she needs the calcium. I can tell by her tail that making the eggs has taken a lot of her fat reserves. However, she remains the first tortoise up in the morning, patrolling the tortoise yard, and she is up about 2 hours after the others dig in for the night, walking around and eating. She has always been like this.

Here she is, queen of the yard:
DSC_5892 - Copy.JPGDSC_5898 - Copy.JPG

I'm keeping my male away from her for a few months, to give her some space. The silly boy continues to ignore the other females, even the ones bigger than this one. I realize she may have stored some sperm and might continue laying... for her own sake I hope she takes a break!

Tom said:
Wow! What a great haul. I hope they all hatch for you. She must be tired and hungry now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
UPDATE: the egg laid right after hibernation looks to be a dud - no development. The 3 eggs laid on March 22nd have veins (candled without touching the eggs when I was topping off the water in the containers). The 3 eggs laid on April 7 have chalked over - still too early to see anything, and I think I'll just wait and see who hatches. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sweet, Congrats!!!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great news! Russians reproduce so slowly, relatively speaking, that every new baby is a victory. I can't wait to see baby pics.