70 Degree's at 1:00 P.M.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Charlie didn't want to come out either but now he is happily chomping away on the lawn. It is 67 right now. There are a lot of new tender shoots from the rain we had.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm all the way up to 76 here today. WOO HOO!!!

All of mine are out and grazing. The stars seem thrilled to be outside. I think if they could jump for joy, they would. I hate it when they have to be cooped up inside all day...

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It is now 72 degrees! It was extremely cold last night. I worried about Charlie.
It got to 37 here last night , Speedy hasn't slept on his heat pad for 2 nights ! I put a small fan on my shelf up top and it blows that heat back down , I have it on a timer from Midnight til 9 am and it really helps distribute the heat more evenly ! He is sleeping on a little pile of hay that is in one corner rather than his heat mat. It seems like he can almost tell , if its going to get cold he will be on his heat mat !

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It got to 37 here last night , Speedy hasn't slept on his heat pad for 2 nights ! I put a small fan on my shelf up top and it blows that heat back down , I have it on a timer from Midnight til 9 am and it really helps distribute the heat more evenly ! He is sleeping on a little pile of hay that is in one corner rather than his heat mat. It seems like he can almost tell , if its going to get cold he will be on his heat mat !
Speedy has so many choices in his box! No matter where Charlie goes in his, he covers up about 1/3 of the space so he can't exactly choose a different corner.

It was 36 last night. It is supposed to get down to 35. I wish I knew how warm he actually is when the outside temperature is 35. By the time I get up, the temperature is up in the 50s.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy has so many choices in his box! No matter where Charlie goes in his, he covers up about 1/3 of the space so he can't exactly choose a different corner.

It was 36 last night. It is supposed to get down to 35. I wish I knew how warm he actually is when the outside temperature is 35. By the time I get up, the temperature is up in the 50s.
I guess he can enjoy it until he gets as big as Charlie !
We had a 32 degree morning a few weeks ago , and I went out early with my temp gun . I checked temps in all areas and ended up turning my thermostat up a hair , and also adding the fan to recirculate the warm air at the top . I made the box a little bigger , 4Ft. by 5Ft and 30 inches high . Good features are a little more room for Speedy , and more room on top for a shelf , for water and controls . Bad features are a little more to heat , and humidify ! Overall it is working out pretty well !

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It got down to 39 degrees last night. Today it is 74. Charlie outdid himself in leaving large juicy cigars all over his night box and in the entrance. As soon as I opened the door, the fumes made my eyes water. I wonder if he even noticed it.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It got down to 39 degrees last night. Today it is 74. Charlie outdid himself in leaving large juicy cigars all over his night box and in the entrance. As soon as I opened the door, the fumes made my eyes water. I wonder if he even noticed it.
Yep , 38 here ! Speedy sat behind his plastic door defying me . It was real cloudy all day , never got much over 70 ! I finally filled his tub inside , brought him in and gave him a good soak ! Dried him off nice and he scooted back inside his box ! Two cigars in his water , hope they don't plug up the toilet ! :D

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
Does anyone bring their torts inside at night? I live in California so they go out in the early afternoon and I normally see them sitting by the back spot by 7. I let them in and they go straight to their heat pad. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480151122.698705.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Does anyone bring their torts inside at night? I live in California so they go out in the early afternoon and I normally see them sitting by the back spot by 7. I let them in and they go straight to their heat pad. View attachment 193136
That doesn't look safe.

I'm in California too. Charlie is too big to bring inside. He has his own heated night box outside.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Does anyone bring their torts inside at night? I live in California so they go out in the early afternoon and I normally see them sitting by the back spot by 7. I let them in and they go straight to their heat pad. View attachment 193136
I did until I got my night box done , but I kept Speedy in an enclosed environment . Speedy would get electrocuted on a hot pad like that , he likes to dig at things that are soft ! You might want to check out something a little more "tortoise proof" ! I went with the Kane heat mats and am very happy with them !
large

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
I'll look into that. We started our outside box but haven't finished it now that volleyball season is here. I didn't want them to be cold. The heat pad we have is waterproof and is for animals but I knew it would just be temporary.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I'll look into that. We started our outside box but haven't finished it now that volleyball season is here. I didn't want them to be cold. The heat pad we have is waterproof and is for animals but I knew it would just be temporary.
I got them from LLL Reptile , you can check them out here if you like ! http://www.lllreptile.com/

P.S. - 66 and cloudy today @ 1:00 PM , Speedy's not coming out ! I put some hay and Mazuri in for him in addition to the pile of hay he always has available !

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I got mine from The Bean Farm: https://beanfarm.com/
I was very impressed with their quick service. They don't charge sales tax to ship to California.
You can buy the pad that you were going to use in the night box and just use it indoors for the time being.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I got them from LLL Reptile , you can check them out here if you like ! http://www.lllreptile.com/

P.S. - 66 and cloudy today @ 1:00 PM , Speedy's not coming out ! I put some hay and Mazuri in for him in addition to the pile of hay he always has available !
Charlie has been sitting in his doorway for the last 4 hours. It just started to rain so I expect he will turn around and head for the warm corner soon. I'm waiting to close his door. I don't like to close it in his face.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Charlie has been sitting in his doorway for the last 4 hours. It just started to rain so I expect he will turn around and head for the warm corner soon. I'm waiting to close his door. I don't like to close it in his face.
Speedy's biggest move was from his heat mat to his pile of hay corner ! :rolleyes: Just locked up for the night and he hasn't budged ! :( When he gets hungry he will eat I guess .

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Geez !! High of 54 out here today and windy to boot ! Supposed to be worse tomorrow , ith a hard freeze tomorrow night !
I just put some food in his box for him and left his door closed . You would need a crow bar to get him off his heat mat !