71 Turtles seized in Bali

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100519/ap_on_re_as/as_indonesia_protected_turtles

DENPASAR (Indonesia) - INDONESIAN police have confiscated 71 endangered giant sea turtles from a food stall on the resort island of Bali, an officer said on Wednesday.

The owner of the stall was arrested when the giant green turtles, named chelonia mydas, were found inside his storehouse in Denpasar, chief detective Col. Andi Taqdir Rahmantiro said.

Rahmantiro said the stall owner told police he purchased the turtles, with an average size of more than 3.3 feet (one metre), from fishermen who caught them in waters off Sulawesi island.

Turtle meat is a traditional delicacy in the predominantly Hindu province of Bali, although Indonesia has banned turtle trade and consumption due to concerns about dwindling numbers and threats by animal welfare groups of a tourist boycott of Bali.

Turtles are among several protected species in Indonesia, a vast nation of 17,000 islands. -- AP

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Wish they would have given a bit more information, like how many of them are still alive.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I know, like, confiscated and then did what with them?

A lot of these countries have no resources to care for these turtles after they are seized, and sometimes they just end up euthanized after seizure. It really sucks. They don't take them and immediately let them go, because they are "evidence."

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I also was curious as to how many were still alive. I also wonder how much he paid for them, that is a lot of turtles to have on hand for a food stall.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
kyryah said:

A lot of these countries have no resources to care for these turtles after they are seized, and sometimes they just end up euthanized after seizure. It really sucks. They don't take them and immediately let them go, because they are "evidence."

Actually, most US courts recognize "perishable or live" evidence cannot be held indefinitely for trial and pictures can be admitted as evidence in place of the actual evidence. Hopefully this is what they do and they release them.

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ika: Thanks for finding that article for us. Its good to know that the turtles were alive and are being returned to the sea.

(Had their flippers tied...My gosh! What creeps)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
galvinkaos said:
kyryah said:

Actually, most US courts recognize "perishable or live" evidence cannot be held indefinitely for trial and pictures can be admitted as evidence in place of the actual evidence. Hopefully this is what they do and they release them.

Dawna

"U.S. courts" being the relative term. Very few are seized in the US. Most seizures take place in Asia or Europe. Their rules are very different.

turtletania

5 Year Member
http://www.3news.co.nz/71-giant-turtles-seized-in-Bali/tabid/1160/articleID/156698/Default.aspx

The picture of their flippers tied is difficult to look at.... but it you have ever tried holding one of these .... .it at least stops you being "beaten up".

I volunteer here in Brunei at the Sea Turtle Rehab Centre. I have come away with many bruises after feeding, treating and just caring for them. The babies aren't so bad, but we currently have one big female who will VERY HAPPILY hit you in the face while trying to get her to take her medicine.

I am just glad that they were being released back.

Status
Not open for further replies.