8 month old hermann

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Ive had my 8 month old hermann for 2 months and only eats weeds sometimes some lettuce etc but i was looking on what the breeder sent me of what he feeds and says fruit i thought Hermann's are a no fruit tortoise so i phoned him as for 2 months i haven't given any fruit but he had been giving it weekly and that its fine and i should carry on what he did , yesterday i gave her some kiwi with no seeds no more then a thumbnail amount and then was speaking to my friend who has a Hermann younger then mine and said there definitely no fruit can anyone help on what to do as shes eaten it now she has pooped since and was fine is there anything i need to watch out for or things that could happen

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Ive had my 8 month old hermann for 2 months and only eats weeds sometimes some lettuce etc but i was looking on what the breeder sent me of what he feeds and says fruit i thought Hermann's are a no fruit tortoise so i phoned him as for 2 months i haven't given any fruit but he had been giving it weekly and that its fine and i should carry on what he did , yesterday i gave her some kiwi with no seeds no more then a thumbnail amount and then was speaking to my friend who has a Hermann younger then mine and said there definitely no fruit can anyone help on what to do as shes eaten it now she has pooped since and was fine is there anything i need to watch out for or things that could happen
Whatever the breeder's opinion, hermann's tortoises shouldn't eat any fruit, as their bodies can't digest it properly - but don't panic -that little bit of kiwi fruit is unlikely to do any harm at all - just don't give her any more. I find that Zola loves dandelion leaves, and they seem to help solidify his bowel movements a bit - sometimes his are quite runny - if you have any handy, a good bunch of them should flush the fruit through quickly. But there really isn't any need to panic at all.
Best wishes
Angie From Devon)