8 New Babies from TOM! AKA The Bond Girls (maybe)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Wake up call! This is what I walked in on this morning...LOL...they have a 48 x 24 well-heated space...and what do they do? They cluster up like Ethiopian pardalis! :p
DSC_0004.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
OK! So you all know that I let the 8s roam the Cactus Garden for an hour or two. Yesterday, when I went to collect them, I found ONLY five. I searched up and down the planter three times. Then, a slight movement did it! I realized that the other three were taking refuge under some mallow shoots! Now, understand, I gutted the bed of EVERY weed except for the mallow...so it would have room to propagate. But, the mallow is still very sparse! It should've been no great task to locate the three 'hiding' babies!

@Tom and I have had some great discussions over what hatchlings do in the wild! Do they take refuge in their birth chamber? Do they hid under rocks? Then, just this past week, Tom said 'they're probably hiding right under your feet...in the scrub!' Well! That might be it...because there is no overgrowth here...but they were hiding right under my feet! Proof you want? Here it is...

DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0138.JPG DSC_0139.JPG DSC_0140.JPG

Of course you see them! That's what you're looking for! Not so obvious, even in a 30" x 2' enclosure! ;)

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I am always amazed how well baby tortoises can hide out. I know they are in a confined area yet I still have trouble finding them in their outside yard sometimes.
Dean your photography is still magnificent. I still have some of your "work".

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I am always amazed how well baby tortoises can hide out. I know they are in a confined area yet I still have trouble finding them in their outside yard sometimes.
Dean your photography is still magnificent. I still have some of your "work".
FUNNY! Darlene was looking going through some stuff and found all those shots of you and Imani! I was pretty f**ked up when I heard about Avila...but she had a longer life than I expected! ;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Too cute, Too cute.....Sound the alarm. Cuteness overload for sure! ! ! !

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gosh- Monstro! Could step on her and not even know it!!!!!
So, SO adorable!!!!:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Such BEAUTIES!!!:)
The one in that last photo looks ALL BUSINESS- there are NO leaves safe from her!!!! :p