8 Year old Sulcata keeps hiding

ajinterpreters

Hello everyone! We have an 8 year old Sulcata. We also live in the midwest, where the weather is terrible during the winter. We have been sending Thomas to "tortoise winter camp" with our friends who have a very large indoor enclosure. Now that we have him back in our backyard where he usually is, he is just hiding most of the time. We have large amount of bushes along the fence line and he usually goes there to sleep every night....but normally is out walking around during the day. Not now...he just wants to go to his sleeping spot and stay there, I will bring him out to the sun, but he will go right back there in about 5 mins. Our temps have been around 72 during the day and down to 50 at night. Any thoughts on what could be going on??? The place where he sleeps gets ZERO sun and is about the coldest spot in the yard...I try to bring him out to warm him up, but he doesn't seem to want anything to do with that! Thanks of the help!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Was this his first year at camp? I know new situations have our Sulcata quiet and hiding for a few days till his bearings get straight...

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
He needs a heated night box, those temps are too low for him and he doesn't know to escape the cold.

M

Maggie Cummings

I absolutely agree with tortdad. He needs a warm box to warm up in and sleep in. My big Sulcata takes himself into his shed and puts himself to bed at 6.30 every night. Because there's a pig blanket in his sleeping box and he gets warm that way. He also has a 150 watt basking light for the 7 months there's no sun here. Your tortoise needs a house with heat and for your winter a big enough place for him to walk of the pent up energy. Bob' s shed is 20'X12". I go in and spend time with him everyday snow rain or shine. He spends his winter here and goes in the snow if he wants to. We are very close and he is well socialized, and I would never do what you are doing. Your tort does not know where he lives. Here or there? He's also confused and stressed, I'd bet on it. They are territorial, they know where they live, yours doesn't. Just just MY experience with raising numerous tortoises....I told you how I keep Bob to give you ideas. Not to brag about how good he's set up. I was just sharing my experience with you. You'll do what you want of course, but watch for a snotty nose and a UTI from being too cold, if you don't fix the problem.....Read the stickies at the top of this Sulcata section....

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I apologize! I did not even consider that your tort was outside with those night time temps. There are some wonderful threads on converting those Rubbermaid sheds into night boxes here and on Google as well (I have been looking at them myself!) Good luck!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

ajinterpreters

I really appreciate the help. For right now, I am using the rubbermaid shed I have...it seems to be doing ok for now. I am getting the supplies together and will be making the night box in Toms thread. Luckily I have a retired carpenter as my neighbor and he loves to do stuff like this.

Thanks again for the help!

ajinterpreters

Well, I built the shed...the ambient temp is around 65. Under the heater it's around 80. He will walk out of the shed and go right back to the bush and hide in damp, cold mud. Not sure what else to do. He will stay in if I put him back inside the shed. Sometimes staying there for two days. If I see him out, he just goes and hides in that same spot. Any suggestions??

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Stubborn tortoises. Any chance of moving the box to where he wants to be?