86 Degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Beach SC
Today the outside tempature is only going to get to 86 degrees. Should I have extra heat available for Franklin T. or should he be fine?
Thanks
Jessica

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I say he will be fine, but giving Franklin a little extra heat won't hurt and if he doesn't need it he won't use it but it will give you peace of mind...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We have outside heat lamps installed as well and all we have to do is plug them in if it gets to cold. We felt it was better to have it ready to go and not need it than to be trying to hook them up if we all of a sudden got some bad weather..

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
86 degrees?!?! Phooey! That's what it was here at midnight last night!;)

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Yea, it is better to be prepared. I can't believe that I had never thought about letting Franklin T. make his own choice. It funny that I don't think that way. Until some one reminds me (I forget every time).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup....a normal summer has awesome temps at night...right now it is 98 under my solid shaded porch :D. It does make for hide time from the sun til about 5..then it is still hot but not intense....that's when I like to start mucking about to drop water and seeds and plant any plants I may have found on the plant clearance rack :D

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
We have started droping down into the low 70's at night. So, next month we will start going into the 60's. I need to start preparing his winter set up. I would love to have some of that California weather for Franklin.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am not looking forward to winter....we have had really terrible winters here the last couple of years (for southern California anyways)I and I am just "hoping" we wont have the bad rains/snow/freezing again this winter....a girl can hope :D

My guys will go into winter boxes for hibernation this year....they have had it rough the last couple years outside hibernating...too much flooding water last year and too much flooding with below freezing temps this last winter....I can't handle the stress so this year they will just chill in their sleep boxes to keep em safe and me sane....

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
ascott said:
I am not looking forward to winter....we have had really terrible winters here the last couple of years (for southern California anyways)I and I am just "hoping" we wont have the bad rains/snow/freezing again this winter....a girl can hope :D

My guys will go into winter boxes for hibernation this year....they have had it rough the last couple years outside hibernating...too much flooding water last year and too much flooding with below freezing temps this last winter....I can't handle the stress so this year they will just chill in their sleep boxes to keep em safe and me sane....

I agree. I can't handle another winter like the last. There was way to much rain and flooding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
86 degrees is perfect tortoise weather. He shouldn't need any additional heat.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Thanks Tom. I did cut on a light for him today but he was not interested. He was to busy working the yard in the real sunshine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My general rule for my area is 65-70 and sunny, is good enough to put them out for some sun, grazing and exercise. As long as its not too windy (this would cool things down) they can warm up quite nicely in the sun at 70 degrees. Temp guns are really handy for borderline weather. You can temp the ground where they will be and you can temp them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ok so I so just got a visual of you Tom, zapping a temp gun...the ground, the rock, the tortoise, your foot, your forehead, walking up to the wife and kids and dog and zapping em......LOL (soooo funning you Tom) :p:p:p:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.