9 mo. marginated won't eat

donna torti

Help I bought a 9 month old marginated 2 n half weeks ago .avent seen him eat anything my temps 98 and 85. 60 humidity I'm getting anxious

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
What are you offering as food? What is its general behavior? Hiding, basking, roaming, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need more info. How are you housing it? Heating and lighting equipment? Are you soaking daily? Are you using a coil type bulb for UV? A pic of the tortoise and enclosure would help.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the forum.
hope your baby will be ok.
I understand your concern but more info is necessary for the knowledgeable members to help you.
Please advise as these people really want to help you and your tortoise.

donna torti

Hi I will try to put pic on . He was on tortoise table for a week . Reptile shop recommended viv so he's now in a viv . He ha's a proper heat bulb not a coil one .he is active I bath him 20 mins everyday then he is placed in front off food he.just looks at.it . How do I put pics on pls

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Wot should he weigh for his / her age
Tortoises' size and weight varies greatly depending on environment, diet, genetics etc, so the answer is I don't know. the guys need a picture if poss.
Is he drinking water? Pooping or peeing? Is it possible he's eating when you're not watching?
It is normal for torts to take a while to settle in to a new home and perhaps because you changed from a tortoise table to a vivarium the problem could be doubled. A vivarium is often not a better idea than a good sized tortoise table, your pet shop were doing their job and just selling you something.
What food are you offering?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises are prey. They don't appreciate someone standing over them and watching them. It makes them feel like they are going to be eaten. Set him in front of the food then quickly move out of sight. You can peek around the corner to see if he's going to eat.

What are you feeding him? You may have to contact the previous owner and ask what the tortoise is used to eating. Sometimes if you change a baby's diet, he doesn't recognize the new food item as 'food.'

donna torti

What are you offering as food? What is its general behavior? Hiding, basking, roaming, etc.
He's aving same as.reptile shop gave him spring mix
Baby tortoises are prey. They don't appreciate someone standing over them and watching them. It makes them feel like they are going to be eaten. Set him in front of the food then quickly move out of sight. You can peek around the corner to see if he's going to eat.

What are you feeding him? You may have to contact the previous owner and ask what the tortoise is used to eating. Sometimes if you change a baby's diet, he doesn't recognize the new food item as 'food.'
Hi I am giving him same as reptile shop but I av now tried all different food I am trying to post pics . I av 7 tortoises in total all thriving I.do hide when feeding n he just walks away I'm so.worried . I put him on table after a week off not eating reptilia said baby's beta in viv till 2 years for humidity but still no.eating

donna torti

Tortoises' size and weight varies greatly depending on environment, diet, genetics etc, so the answer is I don't know. the guys need a picture if poss.
Is he drinking water? Pooping or peeing? Is it possible he's eating when you're not watching?
It is normal for torts to take a while to settle in to a new home and perhaps because you changed from a tortoise table to a vivarium the problem could be doubled. A vivarium is often not a better idea than a good sized tortoise table, your pet shop were doing their job and just selling you something.
What food are you offering?
Hi I av not seen him poo or wee either . Lights come at 7 till.8 . 10 mins afta lights on he's out basking after hour I bath him n place in front off food he sits looking or walks away . He is active till.bout 3 then he goes under his humid hide

donna torti

Help I bought a 9 month old marginated 2 n half weeks ago .avent seen him eat anything my temps 98 and 85. 60 humidity I'm getting anxious
Hi he is offered a spring mix he seems active no wee or poo seen .
We need more info. How are you housing it? Heating and lighting equipment? Are you soaking daily? Are you using a coil type bulb for UV? A pic of the tortoise and enclosure would help.
Hi tom he is basking roaming

Attachments

• 1427122634272.jpg
    1427122634272.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 1427122716789.jpg
    1427122716789.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 1427122752900.jpg
    1427122752900.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 1427122787080.jpg
    1427122787080.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 1427122814186.jpg
    1427122814186.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All looks goos so far. What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

donna torti

Tom can u see my photos
1427123633771.jpg
Hi he is offered a spring mix he seems active no wee or poo seen .

Hi tom he is basking roaming
Hi I will try to put pic on . He was on tortoise table for a week . Reptile shop recommended viv so he's now in a viv . He ha's a proper heat bulb not a coil one .he is active I bath him 20 mins everyday then he is placed in front off food he.just looks at.it . How do I put pics on pls
All looks goos so far. What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?
Hi his cool side 80 warm side 90 basking area 105 . I turn everything off on a night temps.dip to 70 should I maybe leave them on . I really can't understand why he's not eating

Attachments

• 1427123990220.jpg
    1427123990220.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your temps sound good. A little warmer than what is usually suggested for this species, but I think that is good for a new acquisition, and one that is showing lack of appetite.

How long are you leaving the lights on? Try going to 13-14 hours a day for a while to simulate summer hours and see if that helps.

I'm not seeing anything obvious here. All the normal mistakes like cold temps, coil bulbs, overly dry enclosures are not being made. You might just have a shy one that is taking a while to adjust. Daily soaks should help maintain hydration while he works through whatever the issue is. You might consider a carrot or yam baby food soak a few times. Sometimes the nutrient and vitamin boost pulls them out of their funk.

His behavior sound normal and good. Do you have any flowers blooming where you are yet? Try some color on the food, like a dandelion, hibiscus, gazania, etc...

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member

Hi donna. I've had a Marginated for just over a year. Mine particularly seems to enjoy a temp gradient. Under the basking light the temp is 105, at the far end the temp is 75. There is a humid his that is 85 and 80% RH. Outside the hide, the humidity is around 70% to 50%. Mine is not interested in spring mix, but dandelion, plantain, mustard and collards are relished. At 9 months I was soaking every other day. Weight at the time was 68 grams. This is she at 9 months.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427175404.616551.jpg

This is her today at 158gr that shows her habitat. Best of luck with yours.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427175430.562389.jpg

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Your day time temps seem good slightly on the high side. Marginated tortoises are from the hills and mountains of the northern Mediterranean, where the temps can fluctuate from 90 during the days to 50-60 at nights.
It is my understanding they need a 15-20 degree nighttime temperature differential. I try to shoot for 55-65 with 60 being the ideal at night.

Also how deep is your substrate? They really enjoy burrowing and you can have your substrate 4-6 inches deep.
Your enclosure looks really awesome and quite large. Possibly some more nooks to hide in ?

I feed mine turnup greens, dandelion greens, kale, and fresh grass that I grow myself in pots indoors. My marginated and my leopard both love grass and they will go for that first. My marginated also love little bits of sweet potato. Hope this helps.

KC and Jammers

Hey, I know this post is older, but if you're still having troubles feeding, my marg. wasn't eating much so I continued to give him greens and also would offer a half spoon of carrot and yam baby food. He also started eating more when I offered some fruity- pebble smelling dry kibble. I hope you've gotten him eating well by now.

henryzou1990

don't worry about that. try strawberry and banana. not too hot surround. if not eat for long, soak it in warm water for while.

henryzou1990

Margie is easy to raise up. I never care about the temperature. Just offer her some food she like. Tortoise's food. Fruit and some bugs. (young margie like worm very much).