9 month old sulcata still has no interest in grass or hay

Trishk

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
Hi all,
I just wanted to check in on my 9 month old sulcata’s progress. I got some orchard hay and grass plantings but Timi still shows no interest.
What she eats most these days is romaine lettuce, mustard greens, dandelions, an occasional steamed and cooled green beans, opuntia. Mallow and clover have died off with summer but she ate that a lot in the Spring. She nibbles on cuttlefish bones sometimes. Gets a vitamin supplement spray from Zilla. A very rare blueberry or piece of strawberry for a treat.
She gets lots of sun and I soak her daily. She’s active and curious.
Weighs in at 272 grams (9.6 ounces) and has a carapace 5 inches long.
Does she seem on track? Thanks for all your great information, I only come to this forum for advice.
Two photos from today attached. 744DB2B9-6EBB-4B65-82E9-0D53A461374E.jpeg3E2821CD-8DAB-496D-A866-2F139F892B0F.jpeg

Last edited:

Anne1787

Arizona
Mine too! Mine is 10.5 months old and almost totally ignores the really good hay I got him and the flukers food and missouri pellets. He's just started to eat a little of the bermuda grass I clip for him from my yard but I'm struggling with getting him to eat much else except mixed greens. I even planted a hibiscus bush for him and he won't eat that either.

I don't know if it's normal, but yours sounds like mine...

Anne

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
I just wanted to check in on my 9 month old sulcata’s progress. I got some orchard hay and grass plantings but Timi still shows no interest.
What she eats most these days is romaine lettuce, mustard greens, dandelions, an occasional steamed and cooled green beans, opuntia. Mallow and clover have died off with summer but she ate that a lot in the Spring. She nibbles on cuttlefish bones sometimes. Gets a vitamin supplement spray from Zilla. A very rare blueberry or piece of strawberry for a treat.
She gets lots of sun and I soak her daily. She’s active and curious.
Weighs in at 272 grams (9.6 ounces) and has a carapace 5 inches long.
Does she seem on track? Thanks for all your great information, I only come to this forum for advice.
Two photos from today attached. View attachment 346923View attachment 346925
Hay is for adults, not babies. I don't usually introduce it until they are at least 12 inches, and often not until 16 inches.

You need more "natural" foods and less grocery store produce. Look for mulberry leaves, grape leaves, lavatera flowers and leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves. Plant your own grass in pots of garden beds. Clover too. Alfalfa, pumpkin or any of the squash leaves are great. Gazanias, African hibiscus... the list is endless.

If you must use grocery store produce, favor endive and escarole. Add in dandelion greens (aka chicory or Italian dandelion), arugula, cilantro, kale. collards, and more for variety. No need to cook the green beans.

I'd highly recommend some Mazuri, either type, and some soaked ZooMed grassland or forest tortoise pellets mixed in too for variety and nutritional insurance.

If you must use grocery store fare, it needs to be amended in one or more aways. Its explained in here:

More here too:

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
When you feed them just cut up some hay into very small pieces & mix it in with their regular food. Every day, just chop up with scissors & keep offering every day. They eventually learn it’s food. I would cut some hay into fine bunches, mix in with water & make it smell good & fresh, mix in greens & Mazuri.

It takes awhile….

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine too! Mine is 10.5 months old and almost totally ignores the really good hay I got him and the flukers food and missouri pellets. He's just started to eat a little of the bermuda grass I clip for him from my yard but I'm struggling with getting him to eat much else except mixed greens. I even planted a hibiscus bush for him and he won't eat that either.

Anne
Hi Anne. Unfortunately this is pretty "normal" and it is because most breeders don't take the time to introduce a wide variety of weeds, grasses, leaves, flowers and succulents when they first hatch. They just throw down some romaine or something easy and kick this can down the road for the new owner. It takes weeks and months to then introduce the correct foods once the baby is started incorrectly. Start slow. Mix in tiny little amounts of the new stuff with the old favorites. It will take months of your time and effort, but its worth it in the end.

I explain much more about this here:

Trishk

Santa Barbara
26CC5CBC-B59C-4FD4-89FB-4C781C48F968.jpeg

Anne

Anne

Anne
Hay is for adults, not babies. I don't usually introduce it until they are at least 12 inches, and often not until 16 inches.

You need more "natural" foods and less grocery store produce. Look for mulberry leaves, grape leaves, lavatera flowers and leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves. Plant your own grass in pots of garden beds. Clover too. Alfalfa, pumpkin or any of the squash leaves are great. Gazanias, African hibiscus... the list is endless.

If you must use grocery store produce, favor endive and escarole. Add in dandelion greens (aka chicory or Italian dandelion), arugula, cilantro, kale. collards, and more for variety. No need to cook the green beans.

I'd highly recommend some Mazuri, either type, and some soaked ZooMed grassland or forest tortoise pellets mixed in too for variety and nutritional insurance.

If you must use grocery store fare, it needs to be amended in one or more aways. Its explained in here:

More here too:

Anne

Anne

Anne

More here too:
Thanks Tom, based on your reply to my last post I planted a mulberry tree and an opuntia. I grow a lot of squash, I will add those leaves too.
When you feed them just cut up some hay into very small pieces & mix it in with their regular food. Every day, just chop up with scissors & keep offering every day. They eventually learn it’s food. I would cut some hay into fine bunches, mix in with water & make it smell good & fresh, mix in greens & Mazuri.

It takes awhile….

Anne

More here too:

Anne

Anne

Anne

Anne

Anne

Anne

Anne

Anne
Ho
Hay could probably wait a little longer. Mix grass in with her favorite food or mazuri. I find bermuda grass is preferred
thanks she doesn’t mazuri yet either but I’ll keep trying.

Trishk

Santa Barbara

Anne
How big is your little one Anne? Mine is 272 grams, 5 inch carapace shell. I found her as a one and a half ounce hatchling. Still had an opening ‘belly button’ where I think her yolk sac was?

Trishk

Santa Barbara

More here too:
Thanks Tom based on your answer to my last post I planted a mulberry tree and an opuntia. I grow a lot of squash, I will give her those leaves too.

Reactions: Tom