9 Week leopard no eating well

Nisi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
July 8th we had our 6 week old Leopard Delivered to us. I weighted him on arrival at 33g three weeks later no weight gain. I have been watching him the past couple days when we feed him. He eats a little then puts his nose up and walks away. I have had a not so good experience before with a hatchling he didn't make it. I am glad I am catching this early enough. His temps in his cage seem to be point on. I monitor that every couple hours or so beside when I am at work. Any other ideas of why he isn't eating very good? Also people use the term pound food what is pounding food when your talking about a tortoise who is 2.2 inches and 33gs? how much should he be eating?

Thanks all for the help..

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello. 33 grams is small at 6 weeks. Where did you get this baby? If they are not started right, they may never grow. My hatchlings hit 50 grams by 2 months. Spot on doesn't tell us what we need to know to help. What are your 4 temps? Basking, warm side, cool side, and over night low? What is the humidity? What are you feeding? He should be eating a pile about the size of him by volume.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi
I guess the questions that are usually asked to help build a picture are -
what are your 4 temperatures? (sometimes if they are too cold they can't eat or digest their food).
what are you feeding him?
and what uvb/heat bulbs are you using?
Also if you can post a pic of his enclosure members can see if there is anything you can change to encourage his appetite.
It may be none of the above but it's a starting point and you'll get advice tailored to your situation more quickly.
If you haven't already read it this caresheet may help you http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hello. 33 grams is small at 6 weeks. Where did you get this baby? If they are not started right, they may never grow. My hatchlings hit 50 grams by 2 months. Spot on doesn't tell us what we need to know to help. What are your 4 temps? Basking, warm side, cool side, and over night low? What is the humidity? What are you feeding? He should be eating a pile about the size of him by volume.

I agree with this, mine has went from 62-90 grams in 2 weeks. I always have food available in the enclosure. It must be hot and humid and should have 4 areas of temps and soak daily.

Also did you ever make that enclosure to a closed chamber?

Nisi

New York
unless he isn't the age I was told. His hot spot is 97-100 his hide away is 80-85 corners behind his fake plants are the same as his hide. his food area is 82. his night time temp is 80-84 around the whole enclosure. his humidity is at 80 we keep it that way through out the day and night. I bought him from tortoise supply and have been following everything that he has said. he eats spring mix muzari tortoise food, and I give him Kale and dandelions greens. the breeder didn't start him in a closed enclosure so his is open.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm really surprised the breeder didn't use closed chambers and It's also amazing you can keep temps and humidity like that in open enclosure. Diet sounds good.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Your temps and humidity sound good. How are you maintaining that high of humidity in an open enclosure? What are you using to measure it? What lights are you using? Something is wrong for him to not be growing fast at this age. Can you post pictures for us to see if we can help you?

Nisi

New York
my mom is at my house all day watching my kids she sprays it I bought from homedepot a humidity temp gage. Yesterday I did some research and spoke to our breeder again I was using a basking 50w bulb zoomed I just changed that out with a powersun 100w zoomed mercury bulb. that is what he uses for his torts. also bought a 10.0 reptilesun zoo med to go over his enclosure. after an hour of me changing out his bulbs he eat so much I have never witness that before. he was active all night walking around soaking drinking.. after eating for 9 mins I took a video to compare for this mornings meal. he went and found a treat in his herbal Hay.. as of right now I am pretty happy.. that I see light. juggalo.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's great! Those are the bulbs I use too. Best of luck!

Nisi

New York
Thank you.. I was so happy to see such a turn around from him so fast.. I am trying to hard to do right by him.

Nisi

New York
This was yesterday 8/1 a week later and we have a 2g gain. I know that maybe small to some of you but I am happy that it is something.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
A little weight gain always a good sign. It means he is eating. I myself have a slow growth sulcata. He is doing everything fine. I am doing a little research and after a month not gaining weight, he is slowly gaining weight now. Sometimes it just you and the tort, how to trigger it. Search the thread i started. Look at the thread growth of toro. I make the journey of weight gain there lol. Hope it can helps you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He is very beautiful.
I am very glad he is making progress.
Little by little is good.:)