A Baby Black Rat Snake

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yesterday Abner and Rachel were barking up a storm so went to see what they had found. It was a baby black rat snake.Picture 001.jpgThe day before I found a mouse nest with baby mice in one of my containers. I just let them be thinking they were not hurting anything outside. So I took the snake and turned it loose at the container and it went right in. Whether he ate any or not I just don't know.Picture 002.jpgI do like snakes more than mice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yesterday Abner and Rachel were barking up a storm so went to see what they had found. It was a baby black rat snake.View attachment 335142The day before I found a mouse nest with baby mice in one of my containers. I just let them be thinking they were not hurting anything outside. So I took the snake and turned it loose at the container and it went right in. Whether he ate any or not I just don't know.View attachment 335143I do like snakes more than mice.
Me too.
Snakes are cool.
I like seeing them on my property. It means fewer rats bothering my tortoises

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yesterday Abner and Rachel were barking up a storm so went to see what they had found. It was a baby black rat snake.View attachment 335142The day before I found a mouse nest with baby mice in one of my containers. I just let them be thinking they were not hurting anything outside. So I took the snake and turned it loose at the container and it went right in. Whether he ate any or not I just don't know.View attachment 335143I do like snakes more than mice.
Such a pretty squiggle!
I love snakes! They are perfect at what they do and are beautiful on top of that.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Such a pretty squiggle!
I love snakes! They are perfect at what they do and are beautiful on top of that.
Yes they are. I've kept snakes from all over the world and my favorites were the true vipers from Africa. Bitis. I no longer keep snakes but have been looking for a local copperhead.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yes they are. I've kept snakes from all over the world and my favorites were the true vipers from Africa. Bitis. I no longer keep snakes but have been looking for a local copperhead.
Do they really get fat/flat like that or only after a big meal? They look so cool!

My family always thought I was weird for loving snakes. A lot of them are the type to go out of their way to get rid of them on their properties. I caught a baby rat snake when I was young and my dad snatched it from me and whipped it so it snapped it ? I was so incredibly p*****. I wasn't going to keep it, I was just looking at it and was walking to release it by the wood line, but he wasn't having it.

He also doesn't understand why I would get an animal (my tortoise) that can't love me back like a dog or cat. His words. ? obviously I love my dad, but we have very different ideas on animals.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do they really get fat/flat like that or only after a big meal? They look so cool!

My family always thought I was weird for loving snakes. A lot of them are the type to go out of their way to get rid of them on their properties. I caught a baby rat snake when I was young and my dad snatched it from me and whipped it so it snapped it ? I was so incredibly p*****. I wasn't going to keep it, I was just looking at it and was walking to release it by the wood line, but he wasn't having it.

He also doesn't understand why I would get an animal (my tortoise) that can't love me back like a dog or cat. His words. ? obviously I love my dad, but we have very different ideas on animals.
I get that thinking.
My dog is family and my many other animals don't quite make it to that level of feeling for me.
Reptiles aren't cuddly like my dog. Or my wife.

Len B

10 Year Member!

The puff adder puts on the best show of swelling up deflating with a loud hissing sound. The rhino is the most colorful and the gaboon which is the largest usually is so laid back they seldom get excited. But the danger is always there.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I get that thinking.
My dog is family and my many other animals don't quite make it to that level of feeling for me.
Reptiles aren't cuddly like my dog. Or my wife.
I definitely get it. I think part of my thing is I'm a dog groomer. I get to deal/love with dogs all day. They are sweet, but loud and high energy. My reptile/ snails are quiet and chill. I'm not required to entertain them. I can come home after a long day and they just want to chill as much as I do lol. Both my dogs are seniors too, so less high energy.

I also had my son when I was 19 so I have always been caring for something, whether it be my son or a dog that is full of energy and requires 90% of my attention most parts of the day. That's another reason I think I hold reptiles so close to my heart lol. They require work, obviously, but much less instantly demanding if that makes sense... ?

I'm also one of those weirdos that would probably be fine not owning a dog or cat. But
Keep in mind I can get that fix at work. Idk if my husband could though ?‍♀️

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
The puff adder puts on the best show of swelling up deflating with a loud hissing sound. The rhino is the most colorful and the gaboon which is the largest usually is so laid back they seldom get excited. But the danger is always there.
So freaking cool! I'm too chicken to mess with with poisonous species though. I usually stick to constrictors.
I give you super credit for that lol

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
"So I took the snake and turned it loose at the container and it went right in. "

You just aren't "right" Len, maybe a 1/4 bubble off...............lmao

jeff

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

My family calls me an oddball. I don't ever want a pet snake but maybe they actually are a wild pet... cause I won't let anyone kill one they see in my yard. I usually don't have a problem with mice ?