A Baby Redwood Tree...

TortoiseRacket

Location (City and/or State)
New York
So today I went to New Yorks’ Museum of Natural History for a hands-on reptile encounter with some of the museums herpetologists. They had 2 female Greek tortoises that were originally WC. They had discovered many of the commonly kept now chameleon species. But I went a little off topic...

So if you’ve never came here, they have a base of a redwood tree. In the gift shop, I saw they had baby trees and got one. It is a sequoia, or the giant sub-species of redwood tree. If anyone has any tips on how to care for it (I pretty much know) or wants a picture or two, please let me know! Thanks!

baldegale

So today I went to New Yorks’ Museum of Natural History for a hands-on reptile encounter with some of the museums herpetologists. They had 2 female Greek tortoises that were originally WC. They had discovered many of the commonly kept now chameleon species. But I went a little off topic...

So if you’ve never came here, they have a base of a redwood tree. In the gift shop, I saw they had baby trees and got one. It is a sequoia, or the giant sub-species of redwood tree. If anyone has any tips on how to care for it (I pretty much know) or wants a picture or two, please let me know! Thanks!

that sounds very interesting, what would the use of it be?

TortoiseRacket

New York
that sounds very interesting, what would the use of it be?
Honestly I don’t know yet, but probably something to take up my family’s yard 3,000 years from now...:D

...Or maybe it would be a good enclosure for 5 billion chameleons...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

I think that's really cool! I hope you have a greener thumb than me and can grow it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Keep them (the baby sequoia) cool and never let the soil dry out. Think about the Washington, Oregon, Northern California where they do/have existed - cool, humid, lots of rain. There are some very large specimens in the UK as well, often referred to as Wellingtonians (brought over to the UK in the mid 1800’s).

Have fun watching it grow.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Keep them (the baby sequoia) cool and never let the soil dry out. Think about the Washington, Oregon, Northern California where they do/have existed - cool, humid, lots of rain. There are some very large specimens in the UK as well, often referred to as Wellingtonians (brought over to the UK in the mid 1800’s).

Have fun watching it grow.

I’m getting confused because on the bottle it came in, it said let soil dry before watering again. But many say what you just said. I don’t know what to do. Thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m getting confused because on the bottle it came in, it said let soil dry before watering again. But many say what you just said. I don’t know what to do. Thanks!

Some people probably drown the roots and don’t let the water drain properly and don’t have a good soil/substrate. So, over watering is bad as well. Cool and moist, properly drained. Good luck!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have some in Maryland that I planted years ago and they are doing great and getting big. Kept the soil moist for the first year and after that their root system was established well enough where very little extra care was needed. What I like about them is they provide shade in the summer and after they drop the leaves (needles) they let the sun shine in during the winter months. one thing I didn't know before planting them is that they have roots that run at surface level and can cause a trip hazard, and they have a massive root system. In years to come if you see these on your tree don't be concerned they are normalDSCF1017.jpg Thanks for posting this thread because it reminded me i had some seeds from one of my trees to plant this year that i had forgotten about.Picture 007.jpg