A big girl!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t know if it’s average but our female tortoise has just hit 1,000 grams, up from 600 when she showed up two and a half years ago. It’s just the result of regular access to food but I feel like a proud mama today, lol.

I think we’re going to have to get her a larger hide; she can barely get into the one we bought these days; she’s too wide.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
What a cutie...and you can tell she has had great care. My female is the same size as my male right now at almost 5 inches. I don't own a proper scale so I don't know how many grams she is.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What a cutie...and you can tell she has had great care. My female is the same size as my male right now at almost 5 inches. I don't own a proper scale so I don't know how many grams she is.

I owned a kitchen scale before; not sure we would have bought one just to weigh her. From the way she eats there’s really no question as her putting on weight, although it’s interesting to see it begin to decrease in the fall before hibernaation. Gained another ounce this week :eek:

Addy is over six inches now. She was sick when she came out of hibernation and now she’s too active to measure so we’re not sure quite how much.

Five inches? Did she come from a pet store or was she captive bred?

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I owned a kitchen scale before; not sure we would have bought one just to weigh her. From the way she eats there’s really no question as her putting on weight, although it’s interesting to see it begin to decrease in the fall before hibernaation. Gained another ounce this week :eek:

Addy is over six inches now. She was sick when she came out of hibernation and now she’s too active to measure so we’re not sure quite how much.

Five inches? Did she come from a pet store or was she captive bred?

No, even before my first tort I knew pet smart was shady. I got her at a reptile show, and while she isn't pyramided, her shell is not smooth and it is just obvious she was wild caught. However she was in decent shape and very active so I got her. My guess is she is a few years younger than the male which explains why she is the same size.

She eats like a horse...she won't be a runt for long.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I actually haven’t taken many this year, hmm. This year she is just about able to get up over the door jamb; we’re trying to figure how to adjust that area to make sure she doesn’t get in.

FB219974-0C67-4F8E-9476-43953890215E.jpeg

The rest are from last year. The last one is my favorite.

65BA2C8C-9A07-46EE-9F1D-DA8572C66505.jpeg

CD241306-7379-41E8-85FA-170EC93A5069.jpeg 2EBE7D88-8947-4159-84AC-876D605BC75F.jpeg