A California Meet and Greet...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yeah, Cameron's right. We usually get a bunch of people that are just whole hog interested in participating, but little by little they drop out and the event fizzles. I really wish we could have an annual regional event. It's so nice to meet members face-to-face that you've gotten to know only through the written word.

Steven is talking about going to Texas to Kelly's place. I think he mentioned maybe going in the Fall. Wouldn't it be fun if the Texas members living in that area would all go too?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Steven is talking about going to Texas to Kelly's place. I think he mentioned maybe going in the Fall. Wouldn't it be fun if the Texas members living in that area would all go too?
The southwestern regional meet up. Perfect.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I do not know if I wamt a.bunch of tortoide people congegrating. Scary

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm so Grateful and Thankful that Bob Thomas and Tom can accept our visit over the weekend. It is a eye opening experience for my wife and I that to see how other Torts loving people devoting their time and effort to this fun and loving creature.

I took lots pictures during my visit, I will try to somewhat, some how organize a little bid and then share with you. But before that. Let me share some mouthwatering photo of our lunch................................

Sorry for who even cannot, could not, may not come. This is a good part that you missed also! ! ! ! ! !

001 (233).JPG 001 (234).JPG 001 (235).JPG 001 (236).JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
And THANK YOU @Will for the T-shirt! ! ! !

me.jpg

We are appreciating the knowledge and the know how all about tortoise that you shared with us during the tour. You are a great guy! ! !

Thanks again.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
My husband and I also had so much fun meeting Steven, Irene, Yvonne and Will! What a fantastic bunch of people. Spending time with all of you at lunch may have been my favorite part. Now I know you; maybe just a little but I know you!!!
I will post a variety of pictures from Bobs house. He's a very kind man!
image.jpg image.jpg
His two dogs both rescued.

image.jpg
Bob

image.jpg
Adopted Amazon

I will post more. I'm having an issue :). Technology :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
image.jpg
The gang!
Will and my husband up front. Yvonne and Bob, behind them and Steven and Irene in the back.

image.jpg
The gang at lunch. Thank you for the wonderful lunch, Steven and Irene!, it was so nice!

image.jpg image.jpg
My dogs and husband on the pier at Pismo.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 11

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Yeah, Cameron's right. We usually get a bunch of people that are just whole hog interested in participating, but little by little they drop out and the event fizzles. I really wish we could have an annual regional event. It's so nice to meet members face-to-face that you've gotten to know only through the written word.

That would be a darn blast. I would definitely be interested!

Yvonne.... Did you get to Jeffs ?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Wow!! I really missed out!!
And you visited Tom's place!?!?
Seriously! Where are those pics?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
My husband and I camped in Pismo, so we were not able to go to To,s. Would have loved it!
Yvonne and Steven will have pictures. Come on you two! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That would be a darn blast. I would definitely be interested!

Yvonne.... Did you get to Jeffs ?

No. I think he was feeling poorly because of his elbow injury. He texted Steven and cancelled.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Wow!! I really missed out!!
And you visited Tom's place!?!?
Seriously! Where are those pics?

Here are the one tortoise I hear about it but never see a real one before. It was fortunate to see this one.

I'm so impressed with this one.

001 (67).JPG
The heated shed.......we walk by.........but s/he is not there.
001 (68).JPG
This is his entire enclosure..............We walked to the left far corner.....under the tree.....
001 (69).JPG
Did you see the "lonesome Gorge"?????
001 (70).JPG
This is what he procedure
001 (71).JPG 001 (72).JPG 001 (73).JPG 001 (74).JPG 001 (75).JPG 001 (76).JPG 001 (78).JPG

WOW! ! ! ! Is what I said! ! ! ! ! !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
And some beautiful Leopard tortoise, one with history~~

001 (121).JPG 001 (122).JPG 001 (123).JPG 001 (124).JPG

This large ( I can't remember is a She or he??) leopard come to US on 1935 with the ambassador of Kenya as a gift to US. He was in Browns Zoo?? Or some Zoo of some where, but with some exchange breeding program.......This over 100 years old leopard landed in Triple T ranch.
001 (125).JPG 001 (126).JPG 001 (127).JPG 001 (128).JPG 001 (129).JPG 001 (130).JPG

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It's a somewhat difficult thing to explain, Bob has what I think of as Deep Knowledge. He knows more than he is aware of, and it comes out in conversation. All the questions asked and answered in a live exchange has a unique value. By having such a wonderful collection, which produces many offspring, he has had many chelonian glitterati come by and has gleaned much information from them over the years.

The leopard tortoise images that BouaBoua took show a very unique individual. Bob has a solid narration about it's history. It's from Kenya, about 100 years ago. Those grapes and the grapestake fence (each board a nominal 2 x 2 ) might be some reference for it's size, it's a biggy, female, and still has quite a bit of pattern in the carapace.

Meeting everyone and getting over to Tom's place made the mad 14 hours of driving worth it. Tom and his wife were great hosts. Tom is also a rare person in how he thinks, he mentally takes things apart in thought experiments and challenges conventional thinking (dogma) and all his animals know they are dealing with an honest person (not just the torts), but the dogs, the cats, the birds etc.

I'll tell you, even with all the amply illustrated narrations of builds, seeing the night houses directly helped fill in much needed information of how to build them.

I guess the costs of doing these kinds of meet and greets is great, many hours dedicated to a day of driving, some bit of gas money, time away from other things/family etc. It's my POV the cost of not doing it is greater.

Here is a view out the front window of my car after Bob's, before Tom's, those are the Channel islands over there.

2015-07-11 16.27.40.jpg
2015-07-11 16.27.40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Some random pics of the ranch.

001 (6).JPG 001 (8).JPG 001 (9).JPG 001 (10).JPG 001 (20).JPG
This fly cage under the deck is a ingenious idea! ! ! !

001 (50).JPG 001 (51).JPG 001 (52).JPG 001 (53).JPG 001 (54).JPG 001 (55).JPG 001 (56).JPG 001 (57).JPG 001 (58).JPG

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Some Herman's these are eastern including that one that is so much bigger than the others.

2015-07-11 12.58.11.jpg

Another image of that historical Leo from Kenya.

2015-07-11 12.34.16.jpg

I didn't take pictures at Tom's house. His is a private residence, yeah, not an open to the public (with appointment) collection like Bob's. I have many images in my mind's eye though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Bob also have a herd beautiful Egyptian tortoise. I was drooling all over it...:D:D:D

001 (173).JPG 001 (174).JPG 001 (175).JPG 001 (176).JPG 001 (177).JPG 001 (178).JPG

Bob's ranch use 6 foot chain link fence with high voltage hot wire on top to keep all the predatory animal out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is the most Egyptians I have ever seen in one place.