A case for concern?

dkosnik

Location (City and/or State)
Clinton Twp, MI
My russian tortoise is 10. And generally healthy. But in the last few weeks he isn't basking, at all. He is eating and going potty. I have him in a rubber tote and it's about 35x15. And while it's not huge he hasn't had issues. I soak him every day. I have a UV light as well as a flood light. The UV light as only a few months old but perhaps it went bad. I know about brumation. Just not sure if that's what he wants to do. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My russian tortoise is 10. And generally healthy. But in the last few weeks he isn't basking, at all. He is eating and going potty. I have him in a rubber tote and it's about 35x15. And while it's not huge he hasn't had issues. I soak him every day. I have a UV light as well as a flood light. The UV light as only a few months old but perhaps it went bad. I know about brumation. Just not sure if that's what he wants to do. Any suggestions?
That enclosure is way too small, and over time this causes all sorts of issues. Tortoises rely on locomotion, much the same way horses do, to move food through the GI tract. Your enclosure is smaller than the minimum size I would recommend for a 20 gram tiny Russian hatchling.

That is one issue, the other issue might be the UV. What type are you using?

What substrate?

What are the over night temps, the basking area temp, and the cool side temps during the day?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I have to say it... His enclosure is way too small.

Can you provide the temps in the enclosure as well as pictures of your entire setup?

dkosnik

Clinton Twp, MI
I agree my setup is small. I'm in an apartment so room is limited. I used Eco Earth for substrate. This is a picture of my UV light. The other light is just a flood light. I have the lights on a 12 hour timer. I put calcium flakes in his food as well. I'm thinking maybe the UV light is going so I have a new one on the way. With the light on temps are 88-92 usually. With the light off, low to mid 80s.

Attachments

• 20210112_100249.jpg
    20210112_100249.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210112_100959.jpg
    20210112_100959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19