Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi all!!

I recently purchased a baby Hermann's tortoise 'Zippy'. The little fella is approx. 11mo. old. I have a few questions that the books I have purchased don't seem to have the answers to, or they vary extremely. I am guessing that you guys would be better able to answer them....
-How much should they be fed daily?
-How much weight gain (grams) is healthy/week?
-What is the average age where sex can be identified by appearance?
-Should they be soaked daily, and if so until what age?
Lastly, I was wondering if all Eastern Hermann's have four toes on each foot??? lol
I would love any answers that you guys have the time to share.

Cheers!
I love my Zippy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Granolagal: Welcome to the forum. I love Zippy's name!!

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
I feed as much as they'll eat once a day for 3 days, than 1 day off. Than I start all over again. I supplement at every feeding for the first year than go to every other feeding.
When they are small a gain of 4 to 6 grams a month is good. The weight gain per month though will be greater as your tortoise gets bigger, ie. the larger the tortoise the larger the weight gain. :D
It's all a matter of size as opposed to age. It's possible to sex Hermanns at 3 inches SCL and gets easier as they get to 4 inches when they are all sexable. :D
I soak daily for the first 6 months, than every other day till a year old.
No not all Eastern Hermanns have 4 claws on the front feet, most have 5. 4 does pop up quite often and seems to happen most of the time with the Hermanns tortoises in Bulgaria.

Danny

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
egyptiandan said:
Hi,
I feed as much as they'll eat once a day for 3 days, than 1 day off. Than I start all over again. I supplement at every feeding for the first year than go to every other feeding.
When they are small a gain of 4 to 6 grams a month is good. The weight gain per month though will be greater as your tortoise gets bigger, ie. the larger the tortoise the larger the weight gain. :D
It's all a matter of size as opposed to age. It's possible to sex Hermanns at 3 inches SCL and gets easier as they get to 4 inches when they are all sexable. :D
I soak daily for the first 6 months, than every other day till a year old.
No not all Eastern Hermanns have 4 claws on the front feet, most have 5. 4 does pop up quite often and seems to happen most of the time with the Hermanns tortoises in Bulgaria.

Danny

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much guys! After reading a lot of the posts, I have noticed that everyone seems really great and you all seem to have a genuine interest in helping and sharing. I LOVE THAT!

I re-read my intro. about Zippy- he is only 11weeks old...I wish he could stay this small. He has been a great addition to my four-leggeds, I adore him! I was going to post some pics but I dropped my laptop on my foot right after I posted, and it doesn't seem to want to work :(

Another question... I don't plan on hibernating the little guy for at least a few years. How important do you guys feel hibernation in captivity is? Again, lots of varying opinions, and being that the effects will probably not present themselves until the torties are elderly, it is a tough call..in my opinion.

Cheers! Thanks again for the welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.