A few questions about lighting

byviolet

Hey guys, I'm getting a hatchling redfoot soon and I just have a few questions...

I have a uvb bulb I used for 2 months... but it's been sitting (not turned on) for 5 months. Is this okay still for my redfoot?

Also, can I use a CHE and the uvb bulb instead of a basking light and a uvb bulb?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Yes. Keep in mind, Redfoots don't generally bask. Many people don't have UVB light in their enclosures. They just get there UVB , as babies, by being outside for 20 minutes several times weekly or more.
Please do not use the small coiled bulbs, as they can injure their eyes.
They do not like bright lighting.
Good luck.
Feel free to post pictures of the light and enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only a proper light meter can answer that question. If your tortoise is going to live inside and rely on artificial UV, then you need a light meter as much as you need a thermometer. Here is a good one: http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Yes to your last question. Just make sure you are not using one of the coil type cfl UV bulbs as those can sometimes burn their eyes.

byviolet

thanks for the answer. However I'm still not sure -- what did you say yes to? If I can still use the uvb bulb or if I can use the che instead?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it is a tube-type fluorescent bulb, then it is ok to use...in fact, for RF tortoises the tube-type UVB bulbs are better than the MVB are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
reptisun 10.0

There are multiple types of Reptisun 10.0 bulbs. Is it a long tube, or is it a coil type cfl screw in bulb?

The coil types can burn their eyes. The long tubes are safe, but they have to be within 12" of the tortoise to get much UV benefit from them.

The CHE if set on a thermostat will maintain your ambient temp where you want it. This is good. Basking bulbs for RFs are controversial. Some people use them and like them, some people don't. Both groups seem to produce healthy happy tortoise, so from what I have seen it doesn't matter which way you go. If you are getting your tortoise from a reputable breeder, I would ask them how best to set up your baby and with what temperature, lighting, feeding, substrate and supplementation parameters to go with. Humidity is important for RF's, but its also important to keep their substrate dry-ish to prevent shell rot, which they are somewhat prone to.

byviolet

There are multiple types of Reptisun 10.0 bulbs. Is it a long tube, or is it a coil type cfl screw in bulb?

The coil types can burn their eyes. The long tubes are safe, but they have to be within 12" of the tortoise to get much UV benefit from them.

The CHE if set on a thermostat will maintain your ambient temp where you want it. This is good. Basking bulbs for RFs are controversial. Some people use them and like them, some people don't. Both groups seem to produce healthy happy tortoise, so from what I have seen it doesn't matter which way you go. If you are getting your tortoise from a reputable breeder, I would ask them how best to set up your baby and with what temperature, lighting, feeding, substrate and supplementation parameters to go with. Humidity is important for RF's, but its also important to keep their substrate dry-ish to prevent shell rot, which they are somewhat prone to.

I heard that the coil bulbs are fixed now -- I have the coil ones though. And yes I think I'm going with the CHE fulltime

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I heard that the coil bulbs are fixed now -- I have the coil ones though. And yes I think I'm going with the CHE fulltime
That's what the Mfg.s and the sellers say... The problem is that we keep seeing the problem. Over and over and over again. In my opinion the problem is not fixed and I recommend these type of bulbs not be used. There are other alternatives that are safer.