a few questions from a new sulcata owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebiglie

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a sulcata and have a few questions. I am not a first time tortoise owner; my girlfriend and I have had a rescued desert tortoise for about a year. However, we're graduating from college soon and won't be staying in Arizona--and it's illegal to take him across state lines. So we're going to have to pass him on to some caring friends when we leave, and we'll need a tortoise in our lives. My sister is going to raise our sulcata in her dorm in Texas for the rest of the semester, and then my girlfriend and I will take custody in the summer.

Here are my questions:

1. How large can I expect my sulcata to be by the time I finish law school (3 years)? Will he still be manageable inside at this point? I ask because I am mostly considering law schools in the northeast, which will be too cold for our tortoise most of the year. After this, it is very likely that my girlfriend and I will move to a warmer part of the world because we both hate the cold.

Although, just to touch all the bases: are there any sulcata owners otu there near the DC area? is it feasible to raise one here?

2. How easy is it to find a new home for an adult sulcata? Is this true:

"A hatchling (<1yr old) can cost between $50-$120 depending on the company, business, or breeder you are buying from.
A yearling (>1yr/<2yrs old) can cost between $80-$140 depending on the company, business, or breeder you are buying from. Shipping for both is usually $40 or so.
2-4 yrs old are normally $120 to $350 and shipping goes by weight, generally $70
5-6 yrs old are normally $350 to $500 and shipping can be well over $100
and 6+ yrs old can range from $500 to over $3,000 depending on if you are getting a proven breeder Sulcata or not."

Can you really sell a 6+ tortoise for over $500? We are very committed tortoise owners and do not anticipate parting with our tortoise any time soon. But we are trying to plan for unexpected events (e.g., untimely death, unforseen job opportunities in frigid parts of the world), and one thing we want to know is whether we will be able to find a good home for our tortoise once he reaches adulthood, if things do not work out as planned.

That's all for now!

Thanks in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi onebiglie:

Welcome to the forum! May we know your name?

Its too bad you are going to have to give up your desert tortoise. That's one of the nicest tortoises around.

Here's my opinion. And its just that: MY OPINION!

I think you should wait until you are settled in a permanent location to get a sulcata. They grow very fast and by 3 will be big enough to live outside during good weather, and hard to keep indoors during bad weather. They aren't happy campers when contained in a tort table or plastic tub at that size.

There are plenty of smaller type tortoises that will do well indoors temporarily. A Russian springs to mind. Russian tortoises are VERY personable, almost like a smaller version of a sulcata. They should be outside too, but its much easier to keep them indoors than a sulcata.

Something else to think about...you'll need:

A good UVB light and fixture - around $50
A large container or tort table - used book case - around $25
substrate, hiding places, feeding slate and waterer
vet visits in emergency

The price of the tortoise is the least amount you're going to pay. And no one wants your sulcata when it gets too big for you. Zoos won't take them. You may see those prices quoted on sulcatas for sale, but whether the seller gets it or not is another story. So, in my opinion, you should do the tortoise a favor, and don't get a sulcata until you know you can keep him for the rest of his life.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Call http://www.phoenixherp.com/, they can rehab your DT and have quite a few sullies for adoption in all sizes already.

Also, if you think you might move back to AZ, they will keep your DT, you just need to pay a sponsering fee.

emysemys said:
Hi onebiglie:

Welcome to the forum! May we know your name?

Its too bad you are going to have to give up your desert tortoise. That's one of the nicest tortoises around.

Here's my opinion. And its just that: MY OPINION!

I think you should wait until you are settled in a permanent location to get a sulcata. They grow very fast and by 3 will be big enough to live outside during good weather, and hard to keep indoors during bad weather. They aren't happy campers when contained in a tort table or plastic tub at that size.

There are plenty of smaller type tortoises that will do well indoors temporarily. A Russian springs to mind. Russian tortoises are VERY personable, almost like a smaller version of a sulcata. They should be outside too, but its much easier to keep them indoors than a sulcata.

Something else to think about...you'll need:

A good UVB light and fixture - around $50
A large container or tort table - used book case - around $25
substrate, hiding places, feeding slate and waterer
vet visits in emergency

The price of the tortoise is the least amount you're going to pay. And no one wants your sulcata when it gets too big for you. Zoos won't take them. You may see those prices quoted on sulcatas for sale, but whether the seller gets it or not is another story. So, in my opinion, you should do the tortoise a favor, and don't get a sulcata until you know you can keep him for the rest of his life.

Good points for sure.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I agree with yvonne. best to wait to get the big guy.. that is why so many are in rescues.. and many rescues are over flowing..
I have 4.. ALL rescues.. I didnt pay for them.
Its not fair to the animal to get one and re home it. if you have to, then fine, but its not a good Plan, if you can avoid it.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Sulcata require a large outside pen with a heated shed. They can dig huge borrows and eat like a horse. I too think you should wait till you are ready to get a Sulcata. I have 2 and did not pay for them. It can be hard to rehome a large Sulcata because shipping a huge tortoise is not a good idea. Years ago I think those prices may have been true but I think today you would have a hard time getting that. I think people should only get a pet tort if you believe you can provide a forever home, atleast your lifetime since they can outlive us. I agree with others maybe you should get a smaller tort for now and wait for the Sulcata.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I too agree they get big fast:) they are so cute as hatchlings but when they grow up people get rid of them because they do not have the space.what about a Russian or redfoot something smaller?

onebiglie

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the thoughts--you've given me a lot to think about.

As to the issue of "rehoming" a sulcata--does anyone know if an organization like SOS Sulcata is still in need of these organisms for rewilding projects? I had read that they accepted captive-breed individuals for these projects. This would be an awesome backup plan. Again, I plan on giving my sulcata a lifetime of attention and an appropriate captive environment. But I want to make sure I have a backup plan that I would be comfortable with (e.g., not dumping it on an underfunded rescue).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
M

Maggie Cummings

FYI...my male Sulcata went from 35 pounds to 80 pounds in 4 years and you cannot keep a 35 pound Sulcata in the house. Get a Redfoot or a Russian...

or make a colony of box turtles they are extremely personable and very fun to keep...and they all live in the house very well. Much better than a tortoise...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Sorry, but my vote is another in the you can only work with what you have...I would never get a large tort such as a Sulcata before having a very stable environment...ie. same job for awhile, own a house with a huge yard in a warm climate, and a large savings account. Even then, things happen. I waited most of my life to get my tort, and it's "just" a Russian (wanted to wait until I was out of parent's house, then out of college, to know I could maintain a stable household for it and not have to deal with cash flow problems nor moving it across the country). I would find the Sulcata hatchling a stable home, and then once you are set up, adopt an adult Sulcata you can keep for your lifetime. Its not good to keep a Sulcata of any age 100% indoors, especially not in a dorm, and not moving around a lot (its stressful for them). Best wishes and good luck. Sorry we're a bit passionate here. :) No hard feelings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seems like your question has been answered, but I wanted to elaborate on the prices you listed. You will be lucky to give away a large male sulcata. People who like them already have one and its very unusual to be able to keep males together unless you have a large herd and lots of space. Females on the other hand do have some value and those are quite sellable. You can keep as many females as you want in one pen and don't have to worry about aggression so lots of sulcata keepers wouldn't mind adding "one more female" to their group.

Status
Not open for further replies.