A few questions regarding breathing sounds

Location (City and/or State)
Maidens, Virginia
CD243851-E986-4D8B-A5A9-B1A34F3F03FA.jpeg 1DDEE7D6-5230-4278-BD05-90D843503249.jpeg Monty Chello is my 4.5 year old Sulcata.. sweetest guy ever. After owning him for four months..I hear some breathing sounds and I can see his head move when he breathes off and on. It seems a bit labored sometimes so I’m trying to diagnose a reason.
I hear temp and humidity is usually the culprit for respitory issues / infections. His home is 90-91 and 80+ on the other side. I wet his substrate and he has a soaking tub in there ( also mid soaking spot outdoors he hides in ). He does go out when there are not perfect conditions voluntarily (too cold)- but grazes and returns inside.
I also read they can have issues breathing their substrate dust.
I also hear they can get food / dust in there nose. I don’t see anything. He occasionally has clear teary eyes.
Here is my situation.. help me figure this out plz! Otherwise .. it’s to the vet we go. ( Let me note, he is not in critical state at all: eating SO well, poops normally, passes usates, gets tons of excercise voluntarily )

1. How often do I need to swap out substrate? He is in cypress mulch in an outdoor enclosure w a ‘doggie door’. He rarely poops inside so i leave it and scoop out what poop there is. Could unseen mold be an issue?
2. I soak him with a humidifier blowing through the shower curtain.. in 90
Degree water for 30 to 45 minutes since I’m trying to open up his airways. How often should I do this if trying to deal with a respitory issue (potentially)? How long do I do this before bringing him to a clinic if the sounds don’t go away?
3. How many owners have Sulcatas that hear breathing sounds off and on with no problems? Could this be his normal?
Thanks for your input in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can purchase little squeeze bottles of sterile saline solution at the pharmacy in the contact lens aisle. Just squirt a couple of squirts up each nostril, firmly. Don't worry about getting liquid in his lungs, as the other end of the nostrils is in the roof of his mouth. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the overnight low temp on the coldest part of the floor of his sleeping area?

What have your daily high temps been like lately?

Maidens, Virginia
What is the overnight low temp on the coldest part of the floor of hisy sleeping area?

What have your daily high temps been like lately?
High temp- where he sleeps 90 to 93. Otherside 83 to 90. Humidity is 50 to 80 in there now that is warm here in VA. Outside it’s 75 to 85, ( prob 90 in direct sun) and humid.

Maidens, Virginia
You can purchase little squeeze bottles of sterile saline solution at the pharmacy in the contact lens aisle. Just squirt a couple of squirts up each nostril, firmly. Don't worry about getting liquid in his lungs, as the other end of the nostrils is in the roof of his mouth. I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Got it! I’ll start today.