A few weeds...edible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
These are from an unmowed hillside behind my fire station. It doesn't get sprayed and there are a large variety of weeds. Wondering which I can take home to my russian tort. Ty in advance for any ID and advice.

1. Pretty sure this is a kind of plantain and pretty sure it's edible, but wanted to make sure.

20100819153753.jpg

2. Dunno what this one is but there's tons of it around.

20100819153814.jpg

3. This is about 3' tall with a pink/purple flower.
20100819155352.jpg

4. This is also about 3' tall.
20100819155340.jpg

5. Decently large, spiky leaves.
20100819155316.jpg

6. This lays along the ground, sort of like a vine but doesn't really look vine-ish if that makes sense.
20100819155250.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
1. Broad leaf plantain, edible, AWESOME food item!

2. Ground Ivy, not sure on edible or not. It is in the mint family, but so is Creeping Charlie, and that is toxic.

Have to do some digging on the rest...

TORTOMANIA

5 Year Member
BUFFALO NY
first 2 are definetely edible , i feed these on a regular basis
The rest i would not use, they look too similar to ivy

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
1st is plantain and great the second looks like creeping charlie and is toxic. Not sure on the others.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
You have plantain(excellent food), gill over the ground (i wouldn't feed this one, some legume (some are not edible, not sure about that one try a search for vetch or wild pea), goldenrod (have seen it on some toxic lists), sow thistle (perfectly ok if grown on unfertilized ground), and bindweed (a morning glory relative that is toxic).

kitteny-angel

5 Year Member
hi I am new to this forum but none of those looks like bindweed to me and my tortoises love bindweed and have no ill effects.

kitteny-angel

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
kitteny-angel said:
hi I am new to this forum but none of those looks like bindweed to me and my tortoises love bindweed and have no ill effects.

kitteny-angel

Common names could be misleading, b/c I too have heard of an edible bindweed, but having no experience with it, I can't say what it looks like. I do know that the plant I identified in the set of pictures is called bindweed in some circles and is an invasive plant that usuall gets large, white flowers and has milky sap that pours from cuts on the stem. The plant in that photogroup is a morning glory relative and should not be fed.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Status
Not open for further replies.