A Green House that's not going to make you Jealous...

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
I am posting a green house I've built in my tortoise yard...but since I don't have an acre of yard like Yvonne does, my green house will be so small that probably would not make anyone jealous... ^_^

So here it is...ta da...

The story behind this green house is to replace an existing doghouse-like plastic container shelter which my turtles didn't use much....

Instead of hanging out inside the shelter, they often stayed in the open space right next to the shelter.

So I came up with a cleaver plan to revamp the area. I took out the plastic shelter to clear the space. Then I got some fiberglass poles, zip-ties, and vinyl tarp for my green house project. The whole process took me about couple hours. Simply setup the frame and secure the poles with both zip-ties and hot glue, and cover the frame with the clear vinyl tarp and it's done.

I've also installed a timer-operated sprinkler/misting system right next to the green house to create a more suitable environment for my turtles...

A look of the interior of my simple green house...
[

I've added a simple cinder block shelter for my turtles to retreat into the shade if they feel like to...

Last thing I need to do here is adding another vinyl strip cover ton enclose the green house, which I will work on this coming weekend.

I know Yvonne's Giant green house can probably house a lot more turtles and tortoises than this one...so one word for my turtles...stop looking into someone's else yard... ^_^

Last edited:
M

Maggie Cummings

I'll confess, I AM jealous. It's clever, cute, functional and is doing what you built it for. Good job!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I can't see pictures (I hate you computer!!:p ) But it sounds AMAZING! I'd love to have a big greenhouse someday, with a big, safe planted, toasty pond for my sliders... another one for the little turtles, and ANOTHER space for my russian (all raised with stone bottoms, of course) and then miss sulcata could have the bottom in the winter. :D Sounds lovely, but could be really impractical :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice. Where there's a will, there's a way!