A guy told me there is a special wax ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
It is indeed a dogtag and it is attached with a 2 part, Heavyduty Epoxy. WalkingRock has been known in the past to walk the neiborhood on his own... twice now he has escaped the back yard.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I can only imagine the looks on peoples faces as they see him walking across their yard.xD

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Zamric said:
It should not! I will admit that I am only a Keeper but the overall results of 100% (2 adults of differant species raised with a regulare regement of Vita-shell succefully-VS- those raised un-succefully) must prove somthing!

BTW, sorry it took so long to chime in.... I've been going crazy in the real world!;)

This is a good start. We've already seen (from experiments presented on this forum) that keeping a tortoise in high humidity reduces pyramiding. It seems reasonable to take that a step further and hypothesize that keeping a tortoise's shell well-hydrated using products like vita-shell may also reduce pyramiding. I'd like to see a full scale study, using hundreds of animals, but thats never going to happen.

Reading some of these threads (sorry, I didn't read the whole ten pages), I'm not seeing any research studies indicating that Vita-Shell is harmful or even any anecdotal evidence showing a single animal that has been harmed using this product. Saying its bad just because its unnatural doesn't really cut it. Keeping tortoises in captivity is unnatural, but we still do it and they grow up strong and healthy. Unnatural doesn't always equal bad.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
theelectraco said:
I can only imagine the looks on peoples faces as they see him walking across their yard.xD

:D hehehe.... the funniest time was when my 80+ year old neibor tried to "shush" him back in the yard like he was a cat! He just looked back at me like he was saying..."Is she serious?" :p

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I have no issue really wih vita shell and in fact am going to start using it regularly on my wood turtle as she has always been flaky shelled.
I would like to point out the obvious though: vita shell alone will not prevent pyramiding. Bane my newest Sonoran was raised using vita shell regularly and in horrible conditions and on a pellet only diet. His shell isn't flaky or dry at all and was very shiny. However he has rather bad pyramiding and was a very unhealthy black.
I guess the point of this is dont use the vita shell in the expectation that you can keep them in dry climates sense you are offering another form of hydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.