A healthy dose of humility

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
A couple weeks back we had a heated post on the Redfoot forum and I was pretty callous with my response, though I do not regret it. Despite the utility of stating my profession in my response, I'm slightly embarrassed I did so. It felt high-horse and arrogant. I think humility is a wonderful ally and wanted to share where I started. This old post from 5 +/- years ago was humbling for me and I thought I'd share (see below):

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-eye-problem-help-us-out.32310/

Though I don't regret the content of what I said, I do want everyone to see how little I once (and still do) know!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
humility? I do not know that word I am beyond arrogant and conceited. :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This is a well timed post. Yesterday I spoke with another TFO person regarding what might be thought of as the progression of conversations with someone new looking for answers or confirmation they are 'doing things right'. It seems helpful zeal may sound like an attack.

We talked out these points. New members at the first few posts may feel attacked or at least over-advised, so they read much of TFO content, and other sources. Then at some elevation of awareness/knowledge, they greet newer members with the same zeal as they were greeted with. Sorta some kind of very rookie to modest knowledge cycle of zeal or 'attack'. We both thought maybe ignorance (which is not stupidity) leaves people with a thinner skin.

Your narration of feeling humble is pretty much something most people feel either here or elsewhere, and it's good to point it out.

Now back to feeding my sulcata iceberg lettuce on it's rabbit pellet substrate under the 250 watt heat lamp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I went back and tried to find a post where you came off as callous, and I couldn't find it. But I'm glad that it bothered you enough to come back with this thread. Very kind of you. It's so hard to get the right intonation into the written word. Just yesterday I offended a newer member by my words and I had no intention at all to offend or be rude.

I enjoyed re-reading that old thread. My gosh, man - 2011? And we didn't mention the CFL once!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
A couple weeks back we had a heated post on the Redfoot forum and I was pretty callous with my response, though I do not regret it. Despite the utility of stating my profession in my response, I'm slightly embarrassed I did so. It felt high-horse and arrogant. I think humility is a wonderful ally and wanted to share where I started. This old post from 5 +/- years ago was humbling for me and I thought I'd share (see below):

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-eye-problem-help-us-out.32310/

Though I don't regret the content of what I said, I do want everyone to see how little I once (and still do) know!
You are one of the most humble people on the forum. I don't believe I have ever read anything from you that was callous or arrogant. Your profession and background as a scientist is an asset and does lend credibility. It is too easy for the nuances in a conversation to be lost over the typed word.

Curlybird

Berkshire, UK
I hope you don't mind me adding to this as I am a new member who got a bit 'uppity' when someone was trying to support me recently.
I didn't mean to come across the way I did. I (like the rest here) just want the best for my pet and, at the time of posting, I was really worried about him and had other things going on so I became defensive rather than grateful. I was trying everything I could but nothing was working. I regret my initial response because I feel the wrong impression of me is out there for everyone to read and I caused upset. The written word is toneless and can so easily be misinterpreted.
I think what I'm trying to do is say that I agree with the thoughts expressed so far but wanted to offer a view from the newbie side. I am grateful for the combined experience and knowledge here as it far outweighs mine. I think I'm waffling so I'll stop now.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I read the entire thread and was happy to see your response and many others. While the thread was somewhat heated there was good information woven into it. I respect all of the members here with solid knowledge, experience and advice and appreciate their and your willingness to share it. Thank you.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
New member get offended too easily..
I respect members that repeat their advise over and over again everyday and with awesome attitude, i can't do it.
Sometimes it is easy to type with flat responce but the other side feels offended, it likes you owe them.
Forum will never run this good without all of you. Be patient. I don't want to see nice member quit because tired and give up. Keep this forum as long as tort age.. will ya?
Rock n roll!!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
@Will
I think Allegra nailed it with the last sentence of her post below. Tone is also difficult to deliver with written word and the reader often injects their own interpretation on this. Makes instruction a bit tricky on here...

You are one of the most humble people on the forum. I don't believe I have ever read anything from you that was callous or arrogant. Your profession and background as a scientist is an asset and does lend credibility. It is too easy for the nuances in a conversation to be lost over the typed word.

I appreciate your words. I don't regret what I stated but I was concerned about stating my profession, so easy to come across as a one-upper. What I said needed saying to that individual, I just wanted to remind anyone that does read my posts that I too was once a wide-eyed, clueless caregiver.
...Now I'm just clueless.

@CharlieM
I'm with you! It's a great place for learning and sharing tortoise care. Thank you Charlie for being one of those knowledgeable posters!

@ZEROPILOT
1) Happy Birthday!
2) There's a lot of terrible and great guidance for tortoise care out there, I think it could be overwhelming if you had one idea and the rug was pulled out from beneath you with disparate (but more correct) care instructions.

@Yvonne G
I can't imagine you offending anyone...