A little bit of pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Lop

5 Year Member
I've had my Russian tort for two weeks now and think I may have spotted some pyramiding but just mainly in one scute. Is this possible? Third pic shows best what I mean. He has UVB and correct temps of 95 warm side 70 cool side and 62 at night if anyone's wondering. And about 40-60 humidity in the open areas and about 70% humidity where he hangs out the most. I feed him kale, endive, escarole, collard greens, turnip greens, romaine and organic spring mix if anyone's wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_0180[1].JPG
    IMG_0180[1].JPG
    702.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0182[1].JPG
    IMG_0182[1].JPG
    763.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0184[1].JPG
    IMG_0184[1].JPG
    705.9 KB · Views: 71

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When we talk about pyramiding here on the forum, we mainly are referring to leopards, sulcatas, stars, redfoots etc. The Mediterranean tortoises rarely show pyramiding. I'm not an "expert" but I've been taking care of tortoises for over 35 years. Your baby looks just fine to me.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Russian tortoises don't pyramid, per se, but rather have a bit of a 'quilted' look. With a young tortoise like yours, it is very important to mist their shell with water 1-2 times per day, too. This will promote smooth growth. I do see a little 'quilting' in all of your tort's scutes. Maybe the experts can chime in?

D-Lop said:
I've had my Russian tort for two weeks now and think I may have spotted some pyramiding but just mainly in one scute. Is this possible? Third pic shows best what I mean. He has UVB and correct temps of 95 warm side 70 cool side and 62 at night if anyone's wondering. And about 40-60 humidity in the open areas and about 70% humidity where he hangs out the most. I feed him kale, endive, escarole, collard greens, turnip greens, romaine and organic spring mix if anyone's wondering.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Do you give him calcium supplements or cuttle bone to nibble on? I would try and PM one of the experts, maybe GBTortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.