A little too little at six months old?

Guts

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Thanks to the fantastic information and resources of this forum my fiancé and I have our sulcata hatchling Chomp we adopted last month set up in a grow tent with proper temps and humidity (basking 103, ambient 80min, humidity 79-80) and they’ve grown from 69 grams to 85 in our care, but I’m a bit worried about how small they are.

The previous owner fed spring mix and hay, made no effort to maintain humidity aside from soaking daily, and used a mercury vapor bulb and a coil uvb. They also had a significant beak injury when we adopted them that the owner claimed the vet they worked with said was “overgrown keretin” (it wasn’t, there was a wound that has since healed) and they couldn’t cut their food much at all until recently.

Is 85 grams absolutely terrible for a hatchling their age? Will the past owners improper care cause long term harm to Chomp?
As of right now they’re active, eat like a champ, and are really starting to show us their personality.

Irregardless, this sub and it’s members have been extremely helpful !
Added a picture from last weigh day !

2C619CEC-199A-4B1D-BD91-71CBF713F67D.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He looks fine. Don't worry so much. Just do the best you can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks to the fantastic information and resources of this forum my fiancé and I have our sulcata hatchling Chomp we adopted last month set up in a grow tent with proper temps and humidity (basking 103, ambient 80min, humidity 79-80) and they’ve grown from 69 grams to 85 in our care, but I’m a bit worried about how small they are.

The previous owner fed spring mix and hay, made no effort to maintain humidity aside from soaking daily, and used a mercury vapor bulb and a coil uvb. They also had a significant beak injury when we adopted them that the owner claimed the vet they worked with said was “overgrown keretin” (it wasn’t, there was a wound that has since healed) and they couldn’t cut their food much at all until recently.

Is 85 grams absolutely terrible for a hatchling their age? Will the past owners improper care cause long term harm to Chomp?
As of right now they’re active, eat like a champ, and are really starting to show us their personality.

Irregardless, this sub and it’s members have been extremely helpful !
Added a picture from last weigh day !

View attachment 312498
At 85 grams you are out of the woods. Keep up the good care and diet, and he should grow to be a giant in no time.

Guts

Tennessee
@Yvonne G @Tom

Thank you both, I was suspecting I’m just worrying unnecessarily but It’s good to hear it from y’all !