A little worried (not gaining weight)

Ari

Harley hasn't gained any weight since I got her a month ago but the rescue, Belle, has gained 14 grams in the last 2 weeks. They both eat a lot of food but Harley doesn't seem to be gaining any weight but she has new growth on her shell. Should I be worried? I took them for a vet check up and they both got a clean bill of health (I even had stool samples ran to make sure they didn't have any parasites since I put them out in the yard together with a little picket fence separating them). Is she just a slow grower or could there be something else going on and she needs to have another check up?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Growth rates vary between individuals. As long as she's not losing weight and is otherwise active and eating then I wouldn't be too concerned.

However, if these two are being kept together, are you sure that she is eating what you think she is?

Tortoises are not social animals and don't need, want or particularly like company. It could well that you're getting the warning signs of bullying going on and she's being intimidated out of eating what she wants. If they're separated and she starts gaining weight, you have proved it.

EDIT
I just glanced back and it looks like they're already separated maybe?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on above. Be sure to separate if they aren't. That could be the problem. I would also up the warm water soaks on the one not gaining. Possibly she got a dry start and extra hydration won't hurt.

Ari

Yeah they are separated only time they see each other is outside through the picket fence. She eats like a pig and sleeps a lot. I soak her twice a day but I can start doing that 3 times a day if needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah they are separated only time they see each other is outside through the picket fence. She eats like a pig and sleeps a lot. I soak her twice a day but I can start doing that 3 times a day if needed.
I would either let her soak longer each time or add a third soak.
Also, what are you feeding? If you haven't added Mazuri yet, get some, not the newer LS, but the older version and add that, a nugget or two to her diet once or twice a week. That usually puts weight on.

Southeast USA
This may not be it, but some rescue tortoises are usually there because of abuse, or the owners couldn't afford or take care of the tortoise. Mine sleeps a lot, entirely depending on the heat and size of the enclosure. She might not eat in a little more, but you should wait. Mine didn't eat for a solid week, and when I kept handling him, he ate more and more as he got used to me. I recommend hand-feeding if they really know you, or know you are not going to hurt them.

Also, my tortoise NEVER eats in the cold side of his enclosure. He eats in the warm side. Is the feeding dish in the warm or cool side, if you have any of those?

Cut to the chase, don't be worried unless she looks very ill and still isn't eating :)

Ari

I soak them for 20 mins twice a day. They get zoomed grassland food, bak choy, dandelion greens, orchid(?) grass hay offered twice a day. And a couple times a week I'll soak some mazuri and sprinkle it in their food and they get calcium powder twice a week. Some times I offer spring mix. I always feed them on their warm side and after I soak them. Harley usually cleans her bowl and Belle eats everything but the zoomed but I still offer it. In their inside enclosures they have aloe vera, African violet, and some succulents they can munch on (Harley ate her Aloe and I need to replace it). Outside there is Bermuda grass,a rose bush, hibiscus, grape vine, honey suckle, rock rose, and more aloe.

The one I rescued (Belle) is the one gaining weight but the one I originally purchased (Harley) is the one not gaining weight. I can post pics when I get home of them to show where Belle has definitely grown but Harley is still about the same.

Ari

Harley's weight 3 weeks ago:

30FA1AC2-A93E-4E36-9D23-5451C536509D_zpsqgu9wlwd.jpg

Her weight on Friday when I weighted them:
BBA94A40-64CC-4511-B90F-CC7556DEABF3_zpsp8v8p8o6.jpg

(She peed a lot right before I weighted her might be why she is down a gram she didn't pee right before I weighted her 3 weeks ago)

And what I believe is new growth on her shell:
C7821DB2-2148-4920-9C3A-EE08B8185672_zpsimrj2krs.jpg

Belle my rescue 3 weeks ago weight:
96D02726-B899-4A45-8725-AB067521A971_zpsrzjtd94y.jpg

And last Friday:
E22EEDCA-1BE4-488A-A66A-74DCD93275D6_zpsecdrypmd.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just keep offering a variety of green leaves, do you have dandelions you could try? My leopard loves those.
He also gets a mix of shop bought salads in the winter and loves radicchio, escarole,frisee and romaine etc - I avoid iceberg, cos and little gem as I read somewhere they weren't suitable. Lola won't eat dried grass so I sprinkle his food with ground Readigrass.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide as to what to feed freely in moderation or not at all.
Apart from offering the food I wouldn't hand feed too often as this can become a habit that's hard to break.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It looks like Harley had some good growth at one point, but it doesn't look like there is any new growth. It could just be the pictures and doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. If she is eating and pooping regularly and all of your husbandry parameters are "good" then I would not worry.

You're feeding twice a day, correct? Maybe increase the amount of Mazuri for awhile. Offer it every other day as part of the other mixed food.

Some leopards are just odd growers. I have a group from the same clutch and one did not gain any weight for over a month. It is now gaining weight, but is growing at a much slower rate than her clutch mates.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Just keep offering a variety of green leaves, do you have dandelions you could try? My leopard loves those.
He also gets a mix of shop bought salads in the winter and loves radicchio, escarole,frisee and romaine etc - I avoid iceberg, cos and little gem as I read somewhere they weren't suitable. Lola won't eat dried grass so I sprinkle his food with ground Readigrass.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide as to what to feed freely in moderation or not at all.
Apart from offering the food I wouldn't hand feed too often as this can become a habit that's hard to break.
To confirm what you said @Lyn W , Oli got used my hand-feeding him and now he just will NOT eat unless I hand-feed him! :p But , as I mentioned in a different thread: personally I do not mind it. :)