A m a z o n and your credit card

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My credit card was compromised, so the account was closed and a new card issued. I'm still waiting for snail mail to deliver the new card. But in the meantime, forgetting I didn't have my new card yet, I started placing an order on A m a z o n. When I got to the checkout I recognized that the last four digits of the credit card they showed didn't match the last four digits I was used to seeing.

Turns out A m a z o n got my new credit card info before I did. How on earth does this happen? And if A m a z o n can do it what's to keep scammers from being able to do it.

When I talked to the credit card fraud folks they said sometimes when there's a company with recurring charges that company is able to get updates. I'm very uncomfortable with that.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
The same thing happened to me a few years ago. I had to get a new credit card because someone got hold of my number and used hundreds of dollars at a gas station, of all places. Weird. My husband calls me an Amazon addict, I’m on there looking for stuff all the time. Anyway the card was supposed to come in a week but Amazon already had it. I have no clue why it happened, but there were never any purchases that were out of the ordinary.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The same thing happened to me a few years ago. I had to get a new credit card because someone got hold of my number and used hundreds of dollars at a gas station, of all places. Weird. My husband calls me an Amazon addict, I’m on there looking for stuff all the time. Anyway the card was supposed to come in a week but Amazon already had it. I have no clue why it happened, but there were never any purchases that were out of the ordinary.
It’s actually not weird. Gas station fraud is huge in Florida. I’ve had a couple different corporate credit cards compromised and used at gas stations. Last time it was four charges of $500 overnight or $2,000. They call these “pump and dumps”

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
It’s actually not weird. Gas station fraud is huge in Florida. I’ve had a couple different corporate credit cards compromised and used at gas stations. Last time it was four charges of $500 overnight or $2,000. They call these “pump and dumps”
Yeah, it's really bad in your part of the state, too. Some of the newer pumps and stations themselves have better fraud countermeasures than others.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
That makes sense, but if I was going to steal someone‘s credit card number I would’ve used it for something like buying a new car or 100,000 lottery ticket numbers.
Nope, the credit card fraud protection would red flag that in a heartbeat.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
They might pull up in a cargo van and actually carrying a 250+ gallon fuel tank inside, which is rigged through the gas cap on the van. Nothing looks out of the ordinary, except the person takes a heck of a long time to fill up. They can resell the fuel cheaper than the gas station and it’s all cash.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
My credit card was compromised, so the account was closed and a new card issued. I'm still waiting for snail mail to deliver the new card. But in the meantime, forgetting I didn't have my new card yet, I started placing an order on A m a z o n. When I got to the checkout I recognized that the last four digits of the credit card they showed didn't match the last four digits I was used to seeing.

Turns out A m a z o n got my new credit card info before I did. How on earth does this happen? And if A m a z o n can do it what's to keep scammers from being able to do it.

When I talked to the credit card fraud folks they said sometimes when there's a company with recurring charges that company is able to get updates. I'm very uncomfortable with that.
Is it an A m a z o n credit card that is being sent out to you? I signed up for a card with them, and it was automatically linked to my A m a z o n account the moment my application was approved which was days before I got the card in the mail. If it’s not an A m a z o n credit card...then that’s just scary!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
My credit card was compromised, so the account was closed and a new card issued.
You've been dealing with local government lately, and some do a much better job than others at keeping personal information and financial information safe. I'm not saying that's the source of the compromise, but you might want to keep that possibility in mind, moving forward.

Documents with sensitive information are not always redacted, stored, encrypted, or otherwise safeguarded the way they're supposed to be.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's gotten to the point that I only use my DISCOVER card.
They are so quick and easy to deal with.
They are professional, friendly and not based in Calcutta.
Any potential fraud is dealt with immediately

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California

Yes it’s scary to me as well! I guess it’s all in the name of convenience but to me it’s a breach of privacy and I’d be very upset if my bank gave out my cc number to anyone reoccurring or not

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I stopped using my amazon cc. They are hard to get hold of, don't credit back/hold fraud/disputed charges back before investigating and during this covid they are even worse.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I stopped using my amazon cc. They are hard to get hold of, don't credit back/hold fraud/disputed charges back before investigating and during this covid they are even worse.
They ARE impossible to get ahold of.
Even more so than Ebay.
I like the features of PRIME. But I'm otherwise unimpressed in general